Chronic Kidney Disease

Hi all. New to the app. Love all the info...just diagnosed with Stage 2 CKD, EGFR is 55, looking to up my number thru food. Gout since 18yrs old. The Alleve, NSAIDS have lowered my rate. Was wondering if anyone else has CKD.

Comments

• And what foods are working to raise your number? I’ve gone plant based protein. Staying well hydrated. Incorporated blueberries, strawberries, onions, cabbage, garlic, red peppers so far. Oh. And arugula.

• Loving this app. Tracks my sodium, phosphate, potassium intake along with all the other nutrients.

• Let this be a place to post anything CKD. Good or bad...

• http://www.whfoods.com/
    Great for doing your research.

• edited May 2019

https://www.dadvicetv.com/

I’m not one to advertise but he started with a EGFR of 13, doctors were ready to put him on dialysis. Now it’s a 29! His doctor is monitoring his progress. Watch ALL his videos...

• @Bagel848

Managing chronic kidney disease can be very complicated from a nutrition standpoint, as potassium, phosphorus, sodium, protein, calcium, and vitamin D need to be carefully monitored in the blood and diet. Given that you're only at Stage 2, you shouldn't need to follow an overly restrictive diet (other than keeping sodium to as low as possible - 1500 mg would be my recommended limit); there's also definite benefit of eating more plant-based protein on kidney function. :)

I would work with your nephrology team to ask them for the specific (if any) limits you need for potassium, phosphorus, and sodium. You can then set those numbers as a max. It would also be helpful to reference the 'Oracle' to find out which foods are the highest in those nutrients, being sure to avoid them.

https://cronometer.com/blog/nutrient-oracle-food-suggestions/

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Kind regards,

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• @Bagel848

Thanks for the feedback - a kidney disease setting would be very beneficial, especially for healthcare professionals. Happy to hear that you are managing your health so well!

Kind regards,

cronometer.com

• lost 1 kidney to cancer and darn the one left is only at 37 egfr and I am leaking protein . the only thing I can control is food intake. glad I found this app and this form . thanks

• I have stage 4 kidney failure and would love to be able to chart my critical lab values...BUN (blood urea nitrogen), GFR (glomerular Filtration Rate), serum creatinine, HCT, and HGB. This would be so nice and give me a helpful visual.

I found a man on YouTube that has taken me from the brink of needing dialysis to 1 point from Stage 3. The most important thing is to know that I could reverse this by food. There is hope and I am thankful for this thread !!

• Dad advice is the reason I am using this a App, the reason I am getting better, the reason I was encouraged. After all, if he can manage improving his kidneys while living In a different place every day and eating preprepared meals, surely I can!!
    So when my doctor could not or would not give a definite answer to a question, dadvice gave advice on some tips he had been given. Now I drink water based on my weight. Never had a problem with salt or phosphorous especially when I gave up sugar. We can all get better.

• Hi YvonneK,

You can chart custom biometrics in Cronometer!

With a Gold subscription, you can create a Custom Biometric by following these steps:

Login to the website https://cronometer.com/login/
    Click on Add Biometric
    Click on the green +
    Choose a name for your biometric and a unit of measure

Unfortunately, Custom biometrics can only be created on the website. After it has been created, you'll be able to use in the mobile app.

Best,

Karen Stark
    cronometer.com

• Thank you for your time. I do have a gold subscription so I followed your instructions. However, the lab values I am seeking as listed above are not there. I also did not see where I could add custom ones.

• Hi Yvonne,

Once you have created your custom biometric, add it to your diary to record your lab values.

You can view a chart of your logged biometrics in the Trends tab.The second chart in this tab has the list of biometrics, including any custom ones you have created.
    Click the drop-down menu to select which biometric you would like to see in the chart below:

Best,

Karen Stark
    cronometer.com

• i Have just been put on low potassium diet which is why I'm using Cronometer now. I also participate in a Renal Support group - and many times WFPD ( whole food plant diet) is referenced. LOTS to learn - and I'm somewhat overwhelmed with it all. But - I'm learning !!

• @Djones0527

Be sure to speak with your dietitian about your limits for sodium, potassium, phosphorus, etc. They can easily be adjusted in your diary and the oracle can identify high sources of these nutrients so you can avoid those foods.

Best of luck!

cronometer.com

• Anyone who has chronic kidney disease should focus on giving their kidney a break. What do I mean by this? Solve the problem by getting rid of the cause of the problem. For example: You have Type 2 diabetes which caused CKD; Stop eating Carbohydrates.

• Great advice quit! I find it’s not pasta or bread but rice is my downfall. Eat way too much. Just love a place where similar people can share their strategies on reversing CKD. My GFR was 50. Using dadadvice. This app and walking I’m back up to 75! So take control of your own destiny!

• edited August 2020

Bagel848, I am wowed by your GFR increase in such a short time. I am still struggling. I have a protein limit of 70 grams and a dietitian gave me phos, K_, and Na+ levels (which have been easy limits to keep). My HgbA1c is down to 6.1 (the best it has ever been). I am hydrated. My issue is keeping the protein intake low. I am trying to switch to vegan eating with the ocassional slip. I don't eat at fast food places anymore, no beer, no wine. The last Whataurger I bought tasted terrible and I threw it in its entirity in the trash. I switched renal doctors recently because I could not see my doctor for an entire year. I figured if I did not need to see him for a year, I did not need to see him at all. My little train just keeps choo chooing along. Any word of encouragement or tips accepted gratefully.

• My case of a suppressed GFR rate was due to my anti inflammatory meds. Alleve and Indomethacin. Taking too many NSAIDS will drive your kidney numbers down. I’ve had gout since I’m 18. 52 now. I’d have multiple attacks each month. .I’m learning if I don’t get my proper fiber each day, say 35g I become constipated. This in turn raises my uric acid level. Also eating less helps! For my liver I take Jarrow milk thistle after a meal. I do believe this is the root cause of all my problems. For fiber I bought Garden of Life Fiber. Works awesome.

• Watch all the dadadvice videos. He’s a great help. Link is in the top entry log. His GFR was 13. It’s def what you eat...

• If one of your causes fo CKD is Inflammation: Stop eating inflammatory foods such as fruits, vegetables, seed oils and other plant-based foods and inflammatory "nutrients" such as sugar, starch, fiber. Also, be aware of PUFAs.

• What are PUFAs? I started taking NSAIDs years ago for Sarcoidosis. I was taking 800mg 3 times a day for months. That was the major cause of the kidney problems..I have watched pretty much all of the Dadvice videosl Very useful.

• Found this. Use milk thistle.

and quit. I try!

• I use extra virgin to drizzle. Avocado oil to fry. I only fry rarely. Say once. a month. Not big on fried foods...

• edited August 2020

PUFAs are Polyunsaturated-fatty acids and high amount of them cause inflammation. If you're taking something to treat blood glucose spikes; stop taking it and simply take all carbohydrates out of your diet and your body will manage your glucose levels for you. Let me make a correction on a previous statement I made: Avoid all plant/vegetable oils, not just seed oils, but seed oils are the worst. Use Animal fat like Tallow instead. If you have CKD it's a terrible idea to go on a vegan diet, at least for your health. Don't limit the protein, it should be at least 15% of your caloric intake and can go all the way up to 30-50% depending on a lot of different things, if you don't get enough protein you will feel hungry and/or tired all the time along with other health problems.

• @quititz

It's great that you're so passionate about nutrition but I'd just caution providing advice for specific disease states, such as kidney disease. Depending on the staging, excess animal protein can be detrimental to an already compromised kidney. Renal disease tends to be progressive, so when I see recommendations such as yours, I get concerned, as I want people to preserve their kidney function and following your advice would do the opposite.

Renal disease can be a very complex illness to manage, so if you have been informed by your physician that you have this illness, it's essential to meet with a renal dietitian who can provide specific advice and recommendations based on your kidney function.

Kind regards,

cronometer.com

• @Susan_RD_101 I never said that they should consume animal protein in excess, I'm simply saying what is necessary to do to cure CKD: give the kidney a break to be able to health. The kidney filters toxins out of the blood and the main cause for CKD is diabetes, so the most logical solution to both of those problems is to go on an all-meat diet. I'm not a doctor and I never claimed to be, I'm just giving recommendations based on what I know and following my advice is completely up to the individual reading it.