Options

Any chance or plan for an API to track foods?

2»

Answers

• Options

+1 for API. Integration with Alexa/Google Home/IFTTT would be awesome! I don't like opening up the app during my meal so it would be great if I could just tell Google Home "add X to cronometer". An API would be a good start.

• Options

The opportunity for additional recurring revenue was presented years ago in this thread... a google or apple pay subscription model for a REST API is still missing... which means there's money left on the table folks. Even if, as others mentioned, the API only allowed you to add a simple entry to your diary... people would pay for it. It isn't like you need to manage the IFTTT or other integrations... the community will work that out for itself... all y'all need to do is open the REST API, and configure a pay for API key model and rake in additional recurring revenue. I can talk to my shopping list these days... Why can't I tell cronometer how much fried chicken I just ate? :wink:

• Options

+1 for API. Would love to integrate my tracker on cronometer with my training app.

• Options

Just an aside with regard to the export. It would be nice if all the elements could be assembled into a zip files instead of having to go back for each part. A "Download All" option in other words.

• Options

@Hilary +1 for a public API so I can merge your data with my Polar data.

Since others were mentioning gold, I'm already a Gold subscriber. Your app helped me lose 40 pounds and keep it off for 3 years now, you all are awesome!

• Options

+1 to add foods via an API

• Options

I would pay for an API, and the lack of this makes me consider other services.

• Options

I would pay for an API. B)

• Options

I'd love an officially supported API as well.

With an API, you can ensure data and requests are properly formatted, and doing what they're supposed to, you can rate-limit to ensure the servers are not unneccesairily bombarded with traffic, and from reading here, it seems most people are willing to pay a little extra for access.

Without, it's pretty much free-for-all on everything. There's always a way to make something possible. A small script to update a smart-home display with daily nutrition might spam your login server with 10 requests a second. A broken script doing anything might even throw more errors a second to your site, and it annoys the user that it stops working all the time.

As a non-US user of the app, I have to enter every single product into custom foods.
    This is quite the hassle, so I've made a small web-app that I run on my phone. I scan a barcode, it searches available sources, and spits out a .json. This .json is formatted and compatible with your 'Import from JSON file..', but for now, I still have to manually upload it to the site.

• Options

throwing out my support for an api as well.

cronometer is obviously a small company. a great way to compensate for that is by giving developers the power to build apps and integrations for you.

there is so much power that’s being hindered by the absence of an api. off the top of my head:

• the massive amount of biometric and exercise types available to log are useless because no one is going to want to input that data manually.
    • with an api, apple shortcuts support would become trivial, making it easier to log water, preform common actions, etc.

i hope this gets added some day.

• Options

+1 to this. It's 2022. This shouldn't even be a question at this point.

• Options

+1 I'd like an API for importing and exporting things

• Options

Seems like they have an API available but it is only available to enterprise customers. I dont think they would make that available to regular customers because it might make the enterprise less attractive