My experience with Cronometer.

edited October 2018 in General Discussion

Good evening everyone.
This post is going to be a mish mash of my experience with Cronometer, and the praise, criticism and quirks that go along with that.

I have been using Cronometer for at least 10 months now. I do not track activity, I don't set goals in app, I literally just log what I have consumed. But this has been a really useful tool. After years of failing to gain weight, I was able to see the numbers, see I wasn't eating enough, make adjustments, get results, get enthusiastic, eat too much...and then I got to figure out how to lose weight.

All this with the most basic of features, and for that, much praise.

Of course it is not all smooth sailing. Very long load times still persist for me. More often on wifi networks vs mobile data. It is frustrating when I am hungry and my scale times out before Cronometer can load.

UI quirks.
Food item lists reorder themselves if you close a selection window. Frustrating.
Accidentally missed "Mark Day as Complete(What does it even do?)" and hit "Copy Previous Day". And your Data is scrambled. Really needs a confirmation popup before that action happens.

Changing time frame for trends is Gold locked, if you want to change it to a greater range. The default is 3 months, I checked out 8 weeks, couldn't go back to 3 months. So I tested each step. Now I am stuck at 7 days. Was a really unpleasant way to find out the feature wasn't allowed. And now I can't show you my accidental "Copy Previous Day" spikes!

Cronometer is a great program. The basic features have served me well. And they would serve anyone well that wanted to make changes to their habit and their bodies. The quirks are hurting the experience though.

Thank you for the program, thank you for reading.

All the best.
Steven.

Just for clarity - these experiences are from the app on a Samsung Galaxy J5Pro phone.

Comments

• Hi @Steven ,
    Thanks for your great feedback! We really appreciate it!

In regards to copying the previous day scrambling your day, I would say that this action will stay the same. On my device, it will add the items from the previous day to the current day in the time and diary group order. For instance, if you ate an item at 10AM the previous day it will be entered before an item you logged at 11AM today, and after an item you may have logged at 9AM today. If this is not the case, please let me know and I would be happy to look into it. I agree, we should probably have a warning here though. I will add it to our list of future updates; thanks for the suggestion!

In regards to viewing data in the trends tab, Non-gold users have access for up to 4 weeks of data in the charts, and one week of data in the full report.

Hilary
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• Good afternoon @Hilary,

The ordering of a copied previous day makes sense, what I was trying to point out was that with an accidental copy it is basically impossible to manually tease the two days apart again.

4 weeks on Trend is appreciated. It wasn't working yesterday, perhaps the reboot since then has cleared it up.

• Hi Steven,
    Thank you for your suggestion regarding adding a warning. I will add this to our list of feature requests.
    Just to Clarify, non-gold users have access to up to 4 weeks of data on the charts page, and one week of data in the full report.
    Please let us know if you have further questions!

Hilary
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer