Options

should i eat back exercise calories?

I set my activity to sedentary and i enter my workouts based on the active calories from an apple watch. Should I be eating those calories back? For example, my daily goal is 1316. I consumed 1449 and have 429 left from exercise. I burned 589 in exercise so that is why my total consumption for the day is over 1316. Is that okay to do? or should i not eat back exercise calories at all.

Comments

• Options

Hi BetsyP, and thank you for trusting me with your question. I base my nutritional coaching on Intuitive Eating Principles which guides our own individual unique particular eating patterns.
    You shouldn't have to "eat back your calories" as your body has it's own way of adapting and giving it's own cues to you when it needs more energy or when you are giving it too much. Each person has their own baseline of nutritional needs within a 24hour span needed to sustain life. That being said, and not knowing all the other parameters of your total energy expenditures, goals and activity levels it would be difficult to give you an exact yes or no answer.

Hope this helps !

Keisa Winchester, CHHC

Keisa Winchester, CHHC, HHP
    Board Certified Holistic Health Coach
    "Change your mind, Changes your Life"

• Options

Thank you! I am not eating all of them back but my deficit is a little low so at the end of the day i am getting hungry again. I have a heavy workout routine but i dont track all my exercise so i dont eat more. Ill go like 150-200 over my 1310 calorie deficit

• Options

yes, you should increase from the hunger signal.

Keisa Winchester, CHHC, HHP
    Board Certified Holistic Health Coach
    "Change your mind, Changes your Life"