Options

We need tool for raw ingredients to be converted to cooked--drastic change in nutrients involved!

A number of entries only include a raw version. But the nutrient content of course is often vastly reduced (and of course in some cases, eg spinach, increased). I had not realized by how much until I checked this site, that allows side by side comparison: https://vegnt.com/. Sometimes the difference is just drastic! Check for quinoa or millet for instance.

For quinoa, Cronometer has a dry and cooked version, but if someone has used, say, the 365 Super Grain mix, they've measured the raw ingredients and there is no way to calculate what that means once you've cooked it because the site does not have a cooked version for that specific food. You also don't know how much cooked quinoa you get for, say, 1 cup raw. Of course, the site can't do this for every brand name there is, but people can use the generic listings instead--we just need a little prodding. But the site also needs to have a conversion button from raw to cooked.

So my suggestions are the following:

1/ Cronometer might want to have a pop up that warns people of what seems obvious, but even someone like me who researches the stuff just didn't think of, namely that the nutrient content will be different once cooked. That would get people to choose the generic listing for the cooked version instead. That could be easily done without a major expense.

2/ But choosing the generic listing for cooked does not easily work because you often don't know what the equivalence is, since you only measure ingredients when raw. You have to search online. So what the site could do is to have a function that simply converts a recipe from a raw ingredients version to a cooked version. Eg you enter all your raw ingredients, 1 cup quinoa, 1 carrot etc, and then you could press a button that converts that to a cooked version according to what we know. Eg 1 cup quinoa will give you 3 cups of cooked quinoa with such and such change in nutrients. Cronometer already have the cooked profile in their dataset, this only involves finding the multipliers for the products that change size when cooked. This way you have a more accurate understanding of what you are eating.

I realize that requires an investment but until they are able to do that, it would be good to at least issue a warning to customers, as they might be led to believe they are getting enough nutrients when they are not. I know I am not alone in doing this, everyone I asked who uses such sites said they had not thought about it.