Cronometer Saves the Day

Hi! I lost about 150 lbs after having gastric bypass surgery. Many times during my weight loss phase I would get worried (unnecessarily, but that's me!) about whether I was getting adequate nutrition. I would turn to Cronometer and log my food for a couple of days and voila, would discover that I was doing just fine.

I also used Cronometer to prove to my surgical nutritionist that I'm getting adequate protein on my mostly-vegan diet. And knowing how many vitamins actually take in helps me adjust my vitamin & mineral supplements so that I'm not taking in excess (which can be as bad for you as too little).

Most of my friends who've had this surgery have regained a substantial amount (like 30% or more) of their weight. Even though this is pretty common and usually doesn't re-start the serious health problems they had before the surgery, I really want to avoid significant regain because, well, it's really fun to be slim! So I continue to weigh weekly and whenever I gain more than a couple of pounds, I use Cronometer to track what I'm eating/drinking to show me what I've been doing wrong. Sometimes its as simple as not drinking enough water, and sometimes it's eating more high-calorie treats than I'd realized.

For example, using Cronometer helped me identify a pattern that was causing me to gain weight. I eat primarily WFPB, but a few months ago started eating cheese. I didn't think I was eating that much but nevertheless was gaining weight. After faithfully tracking everything I ate/drank in Cronometer, though, the graph made it crystal clear that every night I had wine, I also went WAY over the number of calories I needed. Digging a little further into the graph data (LOVE that feature of Cronometer) proved the unwelcome fact that most of those excess calories were coming from the cheese! (Apparently a little wine has a big effect on my ability to estimate cheese intake, lol!)

WFPB + No-Added-Oil = EZ Wt Maint & Rocket Fuel for Your Health!

Comments

• Wow! Congratulations @talkingmountain!
    So good to hear Cronometer has been instrumental to your success!
    I hear you with the Cheese! So easy to chow down - especially with the help of some wine! Sounds like you have your evenings sorted - love wine and cheese nights!

Hilary
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• I try to limit it to weekends only now. That's at least stopped the weight gain. May have to cut it out entirely to reverse the weight gain but I'm not sure I'm ready to do that yet, lol (even though dairy cheese makes my joints ache...) :s

• @talkingmountain do you have any good recommendations for plant based cheeses? I have seen some pretty cool looking recipes floating around the internet! :)

Hilary
    cronometer.com

• Definitely! Are you looking for recipes or for store-bought options?

• Recipes!

Hilary
    cronometer.com

• Wow! Thanks! I'm definitely going to try this on the weekend!!!

Hilary
    cronometer.com

• I can't seem to edit the post -- forgot to include the amount of nut butter to use.

If you are substituting cashew or almond nut butter for actual nuts, use about half the amount of nuts. E.g. about 1/3 cup nut butter if making a full recipe.

• Being on the Keto diet, I am considering the day when I will be using Cronometer to bring my weight loss under control!

• edited April 2019

The Trends page lets you see how your data looks over time. You can see how your calories and macronutrients have been historically broken down mobdro.