DASH plus Plant-Based Diet

Currently following the DASH eating plan for Primary Aldosteronism. (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension). Kidney function partially challenged due to resistant hypertension from 1977. GFR in the 60's, Creatinine hovers around top of range. On DASH always aimed for 700 - 800 mg of Phosporous per day prior to starting a plant-based diet on 1st January. My question is "As phosphorous is less bioavailable from plant-based sources, would it be appropriate to extend to 800 to 1000 mg of phosphorous per day. This would make eating many nuts and legumes that much more accessible due to their inherent high phosphorous content.

Comments

• @Conns

Thanks for your question! We know that a plant-based diet can promote kidney health but unfortunately, only your physician or dietitian can answer your question re:phosphorus as it really comes down to your bloodwork and the impact that diet is having on kidney biomarkers.

Hope this helps!

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• Thanks Susan. Just been recalled for U/E test so yes will quiz my GP.

• In general I recommend adding or removing phosphorus souces and see what happens to your blood levels.

Dr. CE Grim MS MD Hypertensionologist
    Specializing in Difficult High Blood Pressure and using the DASH diet to help control high blood pressure thru what one eats and drinks and even avoid meds.