Options

Which whey is it?

Like many people, I make homemade greek yogurt. Mine is made from two ingredients.

1. Two quarts 2% milk
  2. About 1.5 ounces of greek yogurt from my previous batch.

This yields approximately one-quart greek yogurt and one-quart whey.
I log yogurt into the diary as Greek Yogurt, Plain, Lowfat Food #458233, Data Source: NCCDB.

I log the whey as Whey, sweet, fluid Food #986, Data Source: USDAsr28:01114, but that is just a guess. Is there a better, more accurate database item I should use instead?

It seems like there should be someplace to look an item up to find out what the heck it is in addition to its nutritional data.

How can I find out what the USDA means by "Whey, sweet, fluid"?

"Eat food, not too much, mostly plants." Michael Pollan

Comments

• Options

In case anybody stumbles across this and wonders, I found out that sweet whey is the by-product of hard cheese-making. The whey from strained yogurt is called acid whey or sour whey which you would hope to find listed as whey, fluid, acid. It is listed that way on the nutritionvalue.org website. I used that as a basis for a custom food entry named Whey, fluid, acid, Homemade; adding Vitamin D at 25% DV per cup to both the custom whey entry and a custom low-fat Greek yogurt entry.

This stuff overtaxes my third-grade education so if you notice an error in reasoning or process, please let me know.

"Eat food, not too much, mostly plants." Michael Pollan