Default to grams (if it's an option, obviously)

Hoping I've missed this somewhere, but is it possible to get the measurements to default to grams[1] when entering foods, if grams is an option? Currently there seems to be no rhyme nor reason as to which measure is the default.

[1] Ideally we could set our own choice for each food/recipe as the default we use, but I suspect that's asking way too much.

Comments

• Hi Juice,

Currently the food will default to the most popular serving size option logged by users.
    I will add a feature request to choose the default serving size for each food/recipe.

Best,

Karen Stark
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• Excellent, thanks for that.

• I could be wrong, but I think both the web app and phone app remember your last used unit for the food. It's been quite convenient for me because at home I can use g for raw weighed version of food, and eating elsewhere I can estimate using other units like "medium" carrot cooked from fresh, etc.

• Mine certainly aren't, unfortunately.

• If you select grams and then favorite the item it will remember grams every time

• +1 for this, I believe it is still not implemented as of June 2020?
    (& thanks for the really useful app!)

• For foods that you've never used before, defaulting to the most commonly used unit makes sense. For foods that you've previously logged, defaulting to your last used unit would be preferable.

• I too would like to have the option to set the default to g. I always measure to the gram. To have to change from whatever the common use serve is annoying and time consuming for large recipes or meals.

Each of us have different use cases, so a setting in options would be great.

• It's been two years since they said they'd look at it, so I wouldn't hold your breath, TBH.

• Thanks for your feedback. Though we are a small team, it helps us prioritize our work for the future. We would love to get to it all!

At the moment, the serving size you last used is remembered next time. So if you add the g serving size, this will be used for that food next time. We hope this will help you add foods more quickly. :)

Karen Stark
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• Every item in all databases needs to have a weight unit value as well. I cannot fathom anyone trying to use TBSP or TSP or Cups or ?? instead of the ultra simple and accurate GRAMS. Duplicating the existing database entries to add a weight metric is a waste of everyone's resources. Chronometer needs to just add the weight value to every item.

• edited January 28

I am really frustrated with adding recipes to my custom recipes and spending SO MUCH TIME flipping back and forth between grams and measures. every now and then I come across an ingredient that will show both and I am greatful but also know this is possible. Seems like Cronometer would prioritize its dashboard on things that will help users. I dont agree with all grams.