Options

Apple Watch / Strava / Cronometer calorie syncing

Hi there. I've just started using Cronometer to track my nutrition intake - loving it so far.

I've synced to both my Apple Watch and Strava. Due to the double counting of some of my exercise activities, I've switched off Chronometer's ability to read the following data points in my Apple Health settings:

• Active energy
  • Exercise minutes
  • Workouts

I prefer to sync from Strava because all my exercise activities are properly named and also, I don't start up a workout on my Apple Watch for cycling because I find it better to track through cycling-specific apps and devices.

I set my activity level in Cronometer to 'none', but now I'm thinking that means it isn't counting any calories burned from regular movement / steps. I expect there isn't a way to set up Apple Health to sync non-exercise calories only, so should I be setting my activity level in Cronometer to 'sedentary' to get a more accurate calorie budget?

Comments

• Options

Hi @Gekko21 ,

We're sorry to hear that you've been running into issues with Apple Health!

There seem to be some bugs with third-party app writing into Apple Health, and we're trying to investigate if it's something we can fix or mitigate on our side.

We do not have the issue for workouts recorded directly from Apple Watches or manually added to Apple Health, which does lead us to believe it could be an issue with the third-party apps themselves.

Some users have been able to work around the issue by Turning off the Apple Health sharing permissions for Active Energy with their third-party apps, but keeping Workouts permissions turned on.

In your case, turn off Strava's permission to write Active Energy data into Apple Health:

1. Go to your iPhone's Settings
    2. Privacy
    3. Health
    4. Strava
    5. For Allow Strava to Write Data, toggle off Active Energy

You Active Energy should no longer be double-counted in Cronometer.

You're right, setting your activity level to none does not take into account calories burned from regular movement / steps.

Please let me know if you have any questions!

Cheers,
    Marie-Eve

Marie-Eve
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• Options

Thanks for your response Marie-Eve. The complexity of all the integrations messes with your head sometimes! It's great that all these things now talk to each other but when you are using multiple apps and devices (I'm using Zwift, Strava, Training Peaks, Wahoo, Apple Watch and Health, Tacx, Health Fit, Withings and now Cronometer) it can take some detective work figuring out what to switch on and off. I've made the change you suggested to Strava anyway. Not sure why I didn't do that before as I've switched off Wahoo's ability to write data to Apple Health for similar reasons.

Anyway, I've now got it set so that Strava writes all my workouts to Cronometer (all properly titled as I like it :smile: ), Apple Health only writes my heart rate data and Withings writes my weight and body fat data. I've adjusted my activity level in Cronometer to 'custom' and used the data in Apple Health to calculate an average number of resting calories burned.

So I think I'm good for now, or at least until I find something else to tweak or another app or device to add into the mix :smiley:).

• Options

Thanks for your response Marie-Eve. The complexity of all the integrations messes with your head sometimes! It's great that all these things now talk to each other but when you are using multiple apps and devices (I'm using Zwift, Strava, Training Peaks, Wahoo, Apple Watch and Health, Tacx, Health Fit, Withings and now Cronometer) it can take some detective work figuring out what to switch on and off. I've made the change you suggested to Strava anyway. Not sure why I didn't do that before as I've switched off Wahoo's ability to write data to Apple Health for similar reasons.

Anyway, I've now got it set so that Strava writes all my workouts to Cronometer (all properly titled as I like it :smile: ), Apple Health only writes my heart rate data and Withings writes my weight and body fat data. I've adjusted my activity level in Cronometer to 'custom' and used the data in Apple Health to calculate an average number of resting calories burned.

So I think I'm good for now, or at least until I find something else to tweak or another app or device to add into the mix :smiley: ).

• Options

So I think I'm good for now, or at least until I find something else to tweak or another app or device to add into the mix :smiley: .

• Options

So I think I'm good for now, or at least until I find something else to tweak or another app or device to add into the mix :smiley: .

• Options

• Options

• Options

When I go to Privacy Health I see chronometer and not Strava. I have been trying to get integrated for days. I just found this and switched them on since I cant find clear instructions on how to enable interface. will try logging off and on all and reenabling.