Options

BUG (I think) Bar Graph Calorie Calculations not matching Daily Report Calories Reported

In looking at my bar chart, I have specific grams indicated for Protein, Net Carbs and Fat. When doing the calculations using 4 calories per gram Carb and Protein, and 9 calories per gram for Fat, I come up with different calorie counts. I am looking at the May 25th entry, but this is the case with all of them being off. Just stating which one here in case I'm asked...have it all in one place.

The bar chart is showing
Protein 115.4 g
NET Carbs 46.5 g
Fat 79.6 g

These calculate to
Protein 461.6 calories
Carbs 186 calories
Fat 716.4 calories

However, in looking at the detail within the Consumed chart, the Daily Report indicates different numbers:
Protein Calories 477
Carbs Calories 232
Fat Calories 718

The calculations aren't matching. I then tried to change to total carbs instead, and the calories still don't match when calculating versus what the Daily Report shows.

Basically the grams reported in the bar chart, times the respective 4 or 9 (depending on if carb/protein, or fat) is not calculating to the same calorie count that the daily report is indicating.

Comments

• Options

Is this a non issue and I'm just not understanding math? I have no response and honestly don't understand the discrepancies in the numbers.

• Options

The calories and the macronutrient values will be a bit off because each food is different in the actual amount of energy (calories) it contains. What I mean here is that you were probably taught the rule that carbs and protein are 4 kcals per gram, and fat is 9 kcals per gram. They are not; They are close but there is better data on some foods and we use that in the calculations for the macronutrients. For example, some carbs are 3.8, 4.1, 4.3 kcals per gram etc. Same is true for protein and fats. That is why there will be a discrepancy, when our data is more accurate than the 4-4-9 crude estimation.

We calculate energy from total carbohydrates because we do get some energy from all types of carbohydrates, not just those counted towards Net Carbs.
    Fibers and sugar alcohols can contribute 0-4 kcal/gram. So calculating percentage of calories from Net Carbs only would under represent the amount of calories you are getting.

Hilary
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer