The Plant-Based Eating Interview is Live!

2»

Comments

• With good nutrition, weight loss happens... 110 down, 60 to go...

• Hi Susan_RD_101! I am in the process of going WFPB (follow Dr. Joel Fuhrman and Dr. Michael Gregor). In Cronometer, what are the best macro ratios. I have looked around and it is so confusing.

• @jagksu

Hello!

For macros, I would keep fat around 20% but look to your actual intake of protein. On a plant-based diet, it's ideal if protein is around 1 g per kg (2.2 lbs). This usually works out to 15-20%. The remainder can be from carbs.

Kind regards,

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• Thanks Susan! That was what I was thinking 20% Fat - 20% Protein - 60% Carbs.

• By doing Keto (ish) Vegetarian I have lost 70lbs between March 1, 2020 and today; 60% fat, 25% protein and 15% carbs. . . 133 g fat, 125 g protein and 75 g carbs. Never felt so good, total Cholesterol down to 122 at last check from 180, bp 90 / 60, resting heart rate 68.

• That is great... What carbs do you eat?

• DrPepper most of my carbs come from some leafy greens, sprouted flourless bread (Ezekiel), apples (1 weekly very small), blueberries, and occasional drinks (Rye / Bourbon).

• I will try again starting the 14th... Coming home from vacation to an empty refrigerator and pantry. It will be a good starting point for me... Although, I'm shooting for vegetarian keto. I applaud your success, it caught my attention and stirred the pot.

• Toying with meal ideas... how does this sound; cut a tomato in half and bake... serve
    topped with poached eggs and salsa (tomato, cilantro, jalapena, lime juice) and a little salt.

• Here's one for you. . . Pizza Mushrooms. . . topped with a poached egg. . .
    https://www.dontgobaconmyheart.co.uk/pizza-stuffed-portobello-mushrooms/#recipe

• I started eating Whole Foods Plant Based (nothing processed or refined and also no oil, added salt or sugar) almost 4 years ago. I lost about 30 lbs in the first 6 months or so, and have maintained this optimal weight (BMI 22) since then, no matter how much I eat. I may go up or down a few lbs, but never more than a few. It's been the "silver bullet" in terms of weight loss and management after almost 3 years of many diets that I would lose some (even most) of my excess weight, only to regain it eventually. I can eat as much as I want of just about any food allowed on this type of diet. The only things I have to keep in moderation are the few foods that are particularly calorically dense foods (mostly nuts, seeds, nut butters, tahini, and avocado). Obviously this isn't a diet for everyone and there definitely was an adjustment period. I'm not suggesting that it would be a silver bullet for anyone else, but I was ready for the commitment it took to get through the first few months of adjustment, after which my taste buds were almost entirely acclimated and no longer missing the foods that I no longer eat. The thing that took the longest for me was not adding salt. That probably took a full year, but I was able to get around that by replacing it with three things: nutritional yeast (for savory/umami flavor), heat (cayenne pepper), and an acid (usually balsamic or red wine vinegar). Tomato paste can also be very good for umami. Anyway, just thought I'd add my $.02.

• We like to eat vegan at restaurants, London Ontario has many nice places. If I order a burger it's made with chickpeas and veggies. Most of these places are also organic.

Who doesn't love plant base ?

The truest SUCCESS is but the development of self. - Charles Atlas.

• @henry_thinman

I live in Ottawa and have yet to visit London, ON! Good to know that I'll find some tasty plant-based dishes there. :)

cronometer.com

• @Susan_RD_101 There was a kind of vegan organic fast food restaurants called Globally Local that is now Odd Burger, they do a take on Big Mac and Whopper.
    https://oddburger.com/collections/menu/burgers

• My wife and I went to Odd Burger yesterday, I had . . .

Fries Supreme
    These loaded fries definitely reign supreme! Our crispy thick-cut fries are smothered in house-made creamy dairy-free cheese sauce, topped with taco 'meat', dairy-free sour cream, diced tomatoes and green onions. These fries are the ultimate indulgence!

My wife had . . .

Vopper
    A burger truly fit for a king or queen! This fast food classic is arguably our most perfectly balanced burger, and features our house-made organic tempeh bacUn and chickpea patty. This burger will have you craving more!

We ate when they was called "Globally Local" and had 2 locations now closed, the name change and new location.

• @henry_thinman - good to know!

cronometer.com