Japanese Sweet potato

abcabc
edited January 2020 in General Nutrition

information for a a raw japanese sweet potato is all over the place. Is the nccdb entry for sweet potato close enough?

For the ones purple on the outside and pale on the inside.

Comments

• I assume the standard sweet potatoes are the orange ones, so they will be higher in beta carotene than a pale variety.

It's also worth remember that the nutrition of any fruit or veg depends on where it was grown, what season, weather and rainfall, fertilisers, how it's been stored, how long it's been kept etc etc.The piece of food in front of you may be quite different from whatever standard pieces were used to come up with the values.

I was going to suggest pick another variety of purple sweet potato, but the only one I can see in the database is branded and only has 20 nutrients recorded. It's brand it Stokes, and seems to be British. That's probably a better choice than orange though, which will throw you vitamin A out by miles.

• The stokes sweet potato is vivid purple all the way through. It's a different kind. But the texture of a stokes sweet potato is more similar to a Japanese sweet potato (purple outside and pale yellow inside - browns quickly after cutting).

• same, I was looking for asian sweet potatos that I got from Hmart (purple on the outside and pale on the inside). I don't really know how the database works but I hope it gets added.

• I find it odd that there is stokes purple sweet potato listed but no Asian/Japanese sweet potato, which I find in more places and have seen for a much longer period...

• Ok, it looks like Cronometer has them but they are listed as Dynasty Oriental Sweet Potatoes.

• Dunno nuttin about Japanese Sweet Potatoes but I would use the "Sweet Potato, Raw" entry. My reasoning is the calories are roughly equivalent and while there might be some micronutrient variation between varieties of plants, the generic entry includes 77 micronutrients. The branded "Dynasty Oriental Sweet Potatoes" entry only includes 14.

Not sayin' this strategy is better than another. Just think the perspective is worth consideration.

"Eat food, not too much, mostly plants." Michael Pollan

• You may have a point, but it also could be indicative of an actual deficit in many nutrients for the Japanese sweet potato. FYI, it has white flesh, not deep orange, and that at least indicates a much lower level of beta carotene, but perhaps other nutrients as well. Generally I don't eat much of either of these, probably more the regular sweet potatoes. What I eat most of is the Stokes purple sweet potato, which have, IMO, an even higher level of nutrients than the other two... Unfortunately it too has little nutritional info on Cronometer, but I'd rather have no data for some nutrients than have inaccurate data that overestimates (in the case of a Japanese sweet potato) what nutrients I'm getting...