Is the dressing typically included (Europe) in the nutritional label of a supermarket salad?

edited September 2021 in General Nutrition

Hi everyone!

I am using cronometer to control the vitamins/aminoacids/etc that I eat, rather than the macro nutrients. For that reason, I am lately trying to log the pre-made food that I buy as a recipe (guesstimating the amounts of each ingredient from the label), rather than taking directly the values from the nutritional label, which only include fat/carbs/protein. This is working quite well in most cases (after I finish the recipe, the values of the nutritional label fit well with the ones of my recipe), except for salads, in which my estimation always has more fat and calories. The salads that I buy come with a small cup of dressing, and I wonder... Is that not included in the nutritional values? It's the only explanation I can come up with, but I would like some confirmation. Does anybody know?

I am in Europe, in the Netherlands.

Thanks!

Attached, a picture of the salad label - in dutch

Answers

• Yeah, definitely. Everything in the packet must be included in the nutrition facts. They could publish separate nutrition for each element, but they would still have to include the total contents.

I'm in the UK, but despite recent unpleasantness, we still use European labels. 🇬🇧🇪🇺

That 7.5g of fat must be almost entirely in the dressing, it's not in the leaves or noodles - which are nearly fat free and 6g of tofu will only have a trace.

• Thanks a lot for the reply!

Good to know that in principle the label should include everything. When writing down my recipe I included some oil too (the ingredients have "plantaardige olie" right after the soy beans, I assume for frying the tofu), but maybe I overestimated how much. I will double-check my math :)

• The nutrition label is for 100g and the ingredients say 6% tofu, so that's 6g. The oil used to cook 6g of tofu wouldn't be anywhere near 7.5g.