Fat Soluble Vitamins & Fasting Question

Suppose you fast and continue taking the fat-soluble vitamins.

Should you stop taking them because you're eating zero food.
Or will the fat in your fat cells be enough to break them down and make them work?
Can you use a teaspoon of oil or less when taking the fat-soluble vitamins?
Will the oil in the Omega 3, 6, and 9 supplements be sufficient to break down the fat-soluble vitamins taken simultaneously?

Comments

• There are people that advocate fasting/caloric restriction and using a "one-a-day" multi-vitamin/mineral. Roy Walford practiced a CRON diet (Caloric Restriction, Optimum Nutrition), an acronym incorporated into this website's name, but without any supplementation that I'm aware of.

Why just fat-soluble vitamins? I think if you're not eating anything, then a multi (water-soluble, too) might help stave off any hunger that you might have.

Any fat that you have stored in your body will be broken down and used during a fast.

I don't see a problem using a teaspoon of oil during an "intermittent fast".

Omega 3/6/9 is irrelevant to the breaking down of a fat-soluble vitamin.

• @Glorianna

We do need fat available in order to digest fat-soluble vitamins. You can still absorb some of the nutrients if you take them fasting, but it will be less than optimal so I'd suggest taking these nutrients with food.

Also, just a quick note that the only thing that can truly stave off hunger is calories/macronutrients. Our bodies don't really care if we are getting nutrients if they don't have calories attached to them.

Kind regards,

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• There was a book written years ago with a very attention-grabbing title: "Calories Don't Count"! I believe it was high protein&fat/low carb. A high protein intake CAN shut down the appetite, and by doing so result in weight loss. There are millions following such a diet today. I'd only say that it's not so cut and dried as it seems. :)

• edited May 2022

Thank You for the answers. I appreciate it. Thanks again!