Epsom Salts vs Magnesium Chloride flakes

Are they different?
Is one more natural than the other? (Including where it comes from and how processed it is).
Has anyone had a better or different experience with one over the other?

Comments

• Epsom salt is the sulfate form. The chloride is typically used topically and can cause skin irritation. To avoid this, some people shower or bathe 15-20 minutes after applying the chloride. One can also make an sulfate solution with water and avoid the irritation problems. The sulfate is probably slightly less effective than the chloride.

I have not seen anything written about this but it is hypothetically possible that chloride is more risky than sulfate. See these articles that attribute hypertension and other cardiovascular problems in part to the chloride in table salt:

hyper.ahajournals.org/content/45/5/849

https://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4325190/

• Speaking about magnesium supplements in general, certain forms are more acidulated than others. For example, magnesium citrate and magnesium malate on the one hand versus magnesium carbonate, magnesium oxide and magnesium glycinate on the other. The former two tending toward a lower pH and the latter three tending toward a higher or buffered pH. I've never used the sulfate or chloride forms. The five noted, I have used. Calcium hydroxyapatite would be in the former group. My guess is that magnesium sulfate and magnesium chloride would be lower pH.

• Thank you moles. I think I will do the extra bathing after using the magnesium chloride. I do get a sense that it's stronger when I just use it in the bath. So I'll keep that in mind and probably alternate with the epsom salts. I'm in the process of reading those links. I wont consume any of either though, but it's still relevant since the body absorbs it.

I'm also reading about pH levels starchivore so that's actually really interesting to me about the pH so thank you for sharing this. It will really help when I do order supplements. I would definitely want something that is more mild on the body. I've saved this information for later also. Thank you both for your answers. Sorry I'm so late but I do appreciate them.