Options

How to input restaurant or fast food options?

edited July 2019 in Begin Here

I am on the ketogenic diet and just switched from Carb Manager app a few days ago. I stopped at Wendy's for a plain, bunless double stack and I cannot find a way to add this or any other entry like it. Any suggestions on how to do add foods that you cannot scan or anything? My only viable alternative seems to be to create custom recipes and then add it to my diary? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options

Hello @Immortalis ,

For restaurant foods missing from our database, you can add a custom food by following these steps:
    https://cronometer.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360018240312.

Please put the link to the website in the 'Notes' section.

After saving your custom food, you can submit it to us for publication (using the gear menu in the top-right of the food editor). If there is no barcode on your food, simply put in '00000' as the barcode.

A little ''hack'' that some users use is to use negative serving sizes. On the website, you can add your burger with bun, and then add 'Hamburger Bun, White' with a negative value as a serving size to get a close approximation for that meal.

Kind regards,
    Marie-Eve

Marie-Eve
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• Options

Adding restaurant or fast food options to your food diary can definitely be a bit tricky. Creating custom recipes is definitely a great alternative if you can't scan the food or find it in the database. Another option is to search for similar dishes in the database and estimate the nutritional content based on that.

• Options
    edited March 2023

Sorry for breaking into the discussion so late, but the post caught my attention. I'm also on the ketogenic diet, and I totally get your struggle with finding the right options to add to your food diary. Creating custom recipes is a good workaround, but it can be time-consuming. In addition to finding ways to track your meals on the ketogenic diet, you should consider treating yourself to restaurants that offer high-quality service and delicious cuisine. For example, I highly recommend checking out the Long Tail. Their extensive menu offers a wide variety of dishes that will satisfy any craving, while their attentive staff provides excellent service to make your dining experience even more enjoyable. Don't forget to indulge in some of their tasty options while still keeping within your diet goals!

• Options

If you're really struggling to find accurate nutrition information, you could try reaching out to the restaurant directly. Many places have detailed nutrition information available if you ask for it.

• Options
    edited May 2023

It can be tough to track your food when you're on a specific diet, especially if you're eating out at restaurants. Creating custom recipes is a great option, but if you're short on time or just want to simplify things, there are a few other options to consider.
    One idea is to search for similar menu items at other restaurants and use those as a guide for your tracking. For example, you could search for ""double cheeseburger without bun"" at other fast food chains and use the nutrition information from those entries.
    Also, you can use the phrase pub near me to find keto-friendly pubs or restaurants in your area. Some places may even have ""keto"" or low-carb options on the menu, making it easier for you to track your food intake.

• Options
    edited December 2023

Welcome to the keto journey! For non-scannable items like your Wendy's order, creating custom recipes is my go-to move. It's super easy, and it keeps your diary accurate. I've been doing it for my favorite local eats! Like at breakfast places near me. Let's share our keto hacks. Any other tips, folks?

• Options

When you're on a specific diet like keto and need to input custom food options, creating custom recipes in your tracking app is a smart workaround. You can list out the individual ingredients and their quantities to get an accurate calculation of your meal's nutritional values.

• Options

By the way, if you ever find yourself in Füssen, Germany, make sure to check out "Riwa Restaurant." They offer some delicious options that might align with your dietary preferences. You can find more about them on their website at https://www.riwa-restaurant.de/de/

• Options

For items like your Wendy's order, creating custom recipes in your new app sounds like a solid workaround.

• Options

Navigating new apps can be tricky, especially when you're on a specific diet like keto.

• Options

I remember feeling the same frustration when I tried tracking my meals at a local pizza place. Sometimes, those custom orders just don't fit neatly into pre-made options. Creating custom recipes might be your best bet for accuracy. It's a bit more work upfront, but once you have them logged, it's smooth sailing.