Options

How to count a 1/4 cup of tomato puree?

edited November 2023 in Help

Hello!

Does a 1/4 cup of tomato puree count as 1 cup of vegetables? I read a recipe that says to cook 3 pounds of tomatoes to make 2 cups of tomato puree. The only ingredient are the tomatoes. I would like to know because 3 pounds of raw tomatoes equals 48 ounces. And 48 ounces to 16 ounces of puree is a ratio of 4 to 1. So I am wondering, since 1 cup of tomatoes makes a 1/4 cup of tomato puree, do I count a 1/4 cup of puree as 1 cup of vegetables? The recipe can be found at the following website...
https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/tomato-puree-14182300

Thank you! I look forward to your reply.

Comments

• Options

If 48 ounces [3 pounds] of tomatoes makes 16 ounces [2 cups] of puree, your ratio is 3 to 1. So your question would be "does a 1/4 cup of tomato puree count as 3/4 cup of vegetables?". That I don't know... but I suspect that the 16 ounces from 2 cups of puree really means "fluid ounces", which measure volume; whereas the 48 ounces of raw tomatoes is weight. Any chefs in the house?

• Options

Thank you for this information. You are right. The ratio is closer to 3:1. I verified it using the calories of red, raw tomatoes and tomato puree. Their calories are almost the same at this ratio. And my calculation of 4:1 in my question above is incorrect. It should read 3:1. I also read that 1 tablespoon of tomato puree is about equal to 1 oz. of vegetables. The calories are almost the same. This is what I was also trying to know to satisfy the daily recommended amount of red/orange vegetables.