Pumpkin seeds

Hi all. Ive added pumpkin seeds to my diary. Google says pumpkin seeds "just ¼ cup provides 8 grams of protein, and 360 mg of lysine" but it doesnt show up in my nutrient target section ! Ive tried adding a couple of different versions but still doesnt show lysine in Nutrient Targets. Help!

Comments

• ok its happened again! Pumpkin seeds are a particularly good source of magnesium with 150 mg in a 1-oz (28-gram) the magnesium didnt show either in the nutrient centre

• edited April 2018

Hi @Suzanna2018 - are you adding a name brand of pumpkin seeds? If I look at either the USDA or NCCDB versions under foods, lots of nutrients show up, including a similar amount of magnesium to what you found. One such entry is: "Pumpkin or Squash Seeds, Shelled, Unsalted".

One strategy on adding foods is to review the nutrient details under the foods tab, comparing nutrient data and so forth, and then go to the diary and add it, and select the "star" icon to favorite it. Then you can just search favorites whenever you want to add it to your diary in the future, and it'll be more easily chosen.

The food entries that are based on the nutrition labels, such as many name brands have limited data (basically just whatever is on the label) compared to the government database entries, which have had a more extensive laboratory analysis.

The far right column of the food search results indicates the database source. When you select a food entry for the diary, there is an indication of how many nutrients are associated with it that can be helpful to review when choosing between database items.

• Hi @Suzanna2018,

I had left you a lengthy comment, but after I edited it to improve the formatting, it disappeared. :-(

The gist of it was to get the most accurate nutrient data, choose a database source with a lot of nutrient entries, such as USDA or NCCDB. For pumpkin seeds, try "Pumpkin or Squash Seeds, Shelled, Unsalted" instead of a name brand. The name brands will tend to only have the (limited) nutrition facts labeling, whereas the government databases will have lab results with many, many more nutrients.

One chosen, you can favorite it, which will make finding it easy in future diary additions.

There is a blog entry here: https://cronometer.com/blog/6-tips-getting-nutrition-data/ that you might find helpful.

• THank you so much it was driving me mad! im in the Uk so wasnt sure about using that! One final question (for today!) I am trying to add a supplement which isnt in the database. I know how to add a food, and the tutorial said to add the same way but it would not let me add as the only option was gram! thank you

• Yes, it appears the base serving unit is grams. Does your supplement list the weight of a serving unit, in grams (gm) or milligrams (mg) or micrograms (ug)? If you provide a few more details about the item you are using it might be easier to help.

Once you have entered a single serving (or you can rename to capsule or tablet, that is editable), you get a "+" symbol in that area so you can enter other sizes as well. Then when you enter into the diary you will have a pull-down menu option for the size of your entry.

It is even possible that the supplement you are looking for is already in the database - searching can be a bit tricky.