How is the number on each face of the nutritional balance scales derived?

Have been trying to figure out how to read that number - I'm not comfortable with ratios anyway, though I get the general picture. The ratio tells you how much of any one nutrient you need to balance off it's 'opposing' nutrient. But when it comes to figuring out the balance, I'm almost clueless (I keep adding cashews, for example, to increase zinc, but that also raises copper...) Along these lines, how are people doing with these balances generally?

Answers

• I find that my zinc : copper ratio is off one direction or the other every day, but that it tends to even out over the course of the week when I run the "7 day nutrition report". My magnesium : calcium is almost always good. I can't figure out how to get more sodium without going over the 2300 limit and can never seem to get enough potassium, especially since I don't eat fruits, legumes, etc on a ketogenic diet. And I have yet to find a source of omega 6 that doesn't also raise omega 3.

So I guess my answer is that it is somewhat helpful but I don't get too hung up on it. Trying to get the balances right has taught me a lot about what nutrients are in which foods though, so I guess that has been helpful.

• @brenda & @Crackerjack check out this forum thread about nutrient balances! There' some great information in there! https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/comment/3478#Comment_3478

Hilary
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• edited July 2018

The piece of the puzzle that just made sense to me is that the way the dial is oriented is actually counter intuitive to what you need to do to balance it. I finally read the directions and it states that if the pointer is to the left on the Zinc : Copper then you need to add more zinc. Since zinc is listed on the left I thought I needed to add more copper to get it to move more to the right. Same thing with Omegas. I was trying to add more Omega 6 to get to the green area (since Omega 6 is listed on that side) when really I needed less 6 and/or more 3 to get to the target ratio. Also explains why I was so confused about the Potassium : Sodium considering the recommendeds.