Options

Homemade Cold Brew Coffee Logging

I've been through the food/recipe database off and on for a few days trying to find the most accurate item to use, so I thought I would reach out to the community to get some feedback on the following issue.

I recently discovered cold brew coffee (YUM). In an effort to control what Im actually having and attempting to log accurately, I started making the cold brew at home. Im wondering what would be the most accurate way to log homemade cold brew coffee. I realize this may depend on the grounds being used. I've been using Dunkin Donuts dark blend coffee.

I have a couple of questions. One, as mentioned above, what is the most accurate choice from the food database for logging this, or do I need to do some research to figure it out? Two, I've read that cold brew can bring out some sweetness in the coffee and is less bitter, which I've found to be true. Does the process of cold brewing vs a hot brew (making in a standard coffee pot) change the nutritional data any?

--
Tim

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2018

Hi I had a cursory look to see if I could find any articles about Nutrition differences between Cold Brew and standard brewed Coffee, but couldn't find anything. I am curious about this as well though, so I will post here if I find anything later as well!
    We have two different options with slightly different nutrition content

Food #450678 Coffee, Prepared From Grounds
    Food #450230 Espresso, without Flavored Syrup

The best data you will find will come from our NCCDB and USDA Sources. These sources have tested foods in Laboratories or gathered information from credible sources to determine complete nutrient profiles.
    We recently released a blog post about how to choose the best data for your needs here: https://cronometer.com/blog/6-tips-getting-nutrition-data/
    If your priority is to get the most detailed information for a food, I recommend choosing entries from the Common Foods Tab. By choosing entries in the common foods tab (as described in the above link to Blog post) you can ensure that you are getting accurate information.

If your priority is to log foods exactly as the nutrition facts appear on the package, I would recommend using the barcode scanner feature on the mobile app or entering the bar code number into the search bar on the Web version.

Hilary
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• Options

I'll be interested to see what you find out about the differences. Im going to keep digging into it as well, just because Im curious.

For my own needs, I think Im more concerned with having the most accurate data. Usually, I scan the barcodes on the packaging, due to subtle differences in the source of some foods. Although, I try to use the Common Foods tab for searching for food when I can. I'll be sure to read the blog post that you referenced. That should be helpful.

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

--
    Tim