Cronometer helped my fat-loss journey

Early in the summer I was 88 kg. My clothes were getting too tight! I am 58 and didn't want to get a new wardrobe. Over the course of the summer I started my 5bx exercise routine that I have followed off and on through the years. Then I read about HIIT and started to do 3 sets of my 5bx in the evening without having supper and then going to bed hungry and having a good breakfast the next morning. Eventually I switched to eating only in the evening and only eating after exercising. This was because my wife didn't like eating by herself. Later I discovered that this is called intermittent fasting (and I thought that I was the only one doing this!)
Anyway, I stalled at 78 k. Was there for 3 weeks. One Sunday I was fasting (a monthly religious two meal fast that we Mormons do) and I just decided to keep doing it. As I fasted, I read up on fasting and discovered that I was doing a 'dry' fast and that doing this for an extended period would result in being in a state called Ketosis which results in body fat being used as fuel source. So I bought some keto strips ($9 for 100 strips at London Drugs) and found that I was in ketosis in my second day of the fast. I ended my fast after 84 hours weighing 73 k and followed the keto diet for 10 days after that. I ended up at 73 k with a 33 inch waist. At that point I stopped because my clothes weren't fitting anymore. (Oh the irony!) I'm not going to complain too loud though because I can run like the wind again having dropped 15 k over 3 months.
The cronometer app and gold membership really helped me with the keto diet part because I had no clue about what foods met the keto criteria. I am firmly convinced that fast loss (and gain) is a function of diet more than it is exercise and cronometer is the first thing that I will turn to.

Comments

• Good Luck on your Journey into Keto @Nascenta . @Frank is our Cronometer Expert on Ketogenic Diets, so if you run into any roadblocks, make sure to throw a post up in the "Ask an Expert" thread as I'm sure there are others who will be interested to know as well! Glad to hear Cronometer has helped!

Hilary
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• I agree with your last sentence! Several years ago I lost weight mainly because I would skip dinner or eat a very light dinner at night simply because I wasn't hungry at night. I never heard of intermittent fasting back then, but realize now that's what I was doing. I'm working my way up to a 16:8 once or twice a week for now and see how that goes.