What to eat?

It's doing my head in. I have a number of health conditions which make choosing the the most appropriate diet a real challenge. If I eat too much fibre it sets off diverticulitis. If I don't eat starchy carbs, I become even more depressed (starchy carbs being necessary for serotonin production). If I eat too much fat my lack of a gall bladder makes me quite ill so no to Keto.

If I eat red meat, my arthritis becomes even more of a pain And to cap it all off, I have had binge eating disorder since early childhood so any kind of restrictive program is anathema for me (bye bye intermittent fasting though on the plus side through years of hard work I no longer binge).

I have only just discovered that Depression is most likely the reason why I have difficulty sticking with any eating plan for longer than a day or two besides all the other issues. I am on a limited income so seeking professional advice is not possible. Plus when I did seek professional advice from a dietician, she was a walking advert for the most sugary breakfast cereal in Australia.

I am 65 years old am 5ft 3 in and weigh 257.5 lbs. I am at the end of my tether re finding the best way to be less fat. Any suggestions, advice or even I hear you sister, would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Related to your issue with the carbs and depression - you might try L-Methylfolate - it's essentially a vitamin that is a precursor to serotonin - I have two family members that have a genetic condition in which their brains don't make serotonin leading to depression, meaning serotonin reuptake inhibitors don't work for them. This was prescribed for them and essentially as I understand it floods your gut with serotonin (where the majority of serotonin is actually made by the body) which your brain can pick. It made a WORLD of difference for them and might help with that particular issue. FYI serotonin regulates many digestive tract functions (which I never knew before we discovered their condition) so might help with some of the diverticulitis/constipation issues - these are well known side effects of low serotonin in the gut.

Beyond that - use this program for what it can do...tell you the calories you are burning and then eat to that amount...or the deficit to achieve the weight loss you desire. No offense to those that do various particular "diets" and believe in them, but in my opinion gimmicks like keto or intermittent fasting are just ways to trick you into eating less than you are burning...it's more important how much than what...so eat what you like/what works for you, track the calories and compare to what you've burned and keep that at a deficit and over time you will lose (assuming you are counting all the things you eat and the estimates of burned calories aren't too far off on here - they are really just a general guess). That said, a couple other thoughts to avoid going off track.

1. ALWAYS eat your basal metabolism calories - you need to feed you body or it will demand food in a way that will power won't be able to overcome - eating/caloric intake is a self preservation instinct, don't fight instinct.
    2. Avoid foods that spike your blood sugar or pair them with foods that have staying power- for example, if you want a bit of candy (I keep a stock of mini's at all times to hit that craving without going over board) have some, but pair it with a cheese stick or a piece of jerky (turkey if beef bothers you) or similar protein/fat so that you have something still there after the sugar spikes.
    3. Track, track, track what you eat...you will be surprised how well things you think of as "cheating on your diet" fit right into the caloric intake for the day...just modify the rest of the day and no issue at all...if you want to go out for your favorite pizza with friends - eat light breakfast and lunch - and don't just ignore - add the pizza to your tracker. Over time you'll see you can work these in almost automatically, and rather than a "diet" you "cheat" on or don't follow - you have a way of eating that balances calories in with calories out - which is how I imagine healthy weight people's brains just work - I just need a computer program to help do the balancing.

I have lost 115 pounds in 14 1/2 months using this program and eating what I like to eat - which tends towards more protein (around 30% of my calories) - and simply maintaining the calorie balance/deficit. I travel for work, have a busy schedule with three kids - eating a specific diet doesn't always work for me...but calories in calories out balance can always work - it's just a matter of counting.

• Thank you, Kahbakerjd, for your response. I appreciate the time you have taken to provide such a detailed and informative reply to my cry from the heart. I have heard of L -methylfolate and done some research into it. After reading your response I think I do need to try it. My depressive episodes wouldn't be classified as major more like moderate with stronger episodes at times. Been going on for decades now.

I reckon you are right about the gimmick diets. Though for some people, one of those gimmicks may be the key to their better health. One size does not fit all where diet is concerned. Your response has made me realise I need to do a bit of fine tuning where my energy in energy out is concerned.

I like your suggestion about balancing out the small sweet treat with something to balance out the glycemic load. The tracking bit I have always found a challenge. One of the main triggers for binging or overeating has been when I would be scrupulously tracking my diet, my anxiety would go through the roof and it was like an alien inhabiting my body saying eat eat eat. A work in progress there.

Thanks again and all the best for 2019 and beyond.
    ps when I go off the beaten path I reckon I will be referring back to your response for calm and clear guidance.

• @Dragon8

Hello!

I'm a Canadian-based Registered Dietitian and can assure you that the food industry does not influence any of my recommendations. :)

I specialize in weight management, vegan nutrition, and eating disorders, so am happy to answer any questions you have along your health journey.

Regarding diverticular disease, unless you are having a flare up, you actually want to eat A LOT of fibre. I would definitely try to eat a more plant-centric diet, being mindful of the importance of eating regularly and not restricting intake.

If you have any other questions, please just let me know.

Kind regards,

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• Thanks, Susan, for your professional opinion. I am aware that not all dieticians are like the one I saw years ago. I am also aware of the part fibre plays in managing diverticulitis. Too much = flare up and, too little does too. I have found it to be trial and error. Brown rice is a no no which is great because I prefer white rice anyway, being mindful to balance its glycemic load. At the moment, because we are having a heatwave here in Australia, salads are very welcome. I imagine in Canada, it is stew weather because of the cold.

• @Dragon8

It's -25 C today! This is definitely soup and stew weather. :)

Let us know if you have any other nutrition questions and best of luck on your health journey!

Kind regards,

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• thank you. it's certainly the neverending journey, Susan...becoming healthy and staying healthy...and along the weigh you meet nice people.🙂