Serving Size

I would like to request that when entering a custom food that we also have the option to enter a measurement in ounce, right now we can only do grams and when entering liquid items I prefer to have the option of ounces. Also would be nice to see that if we don't know the grams off the top of our heads we can just add a cup, teaspoon, tablespoon etc that Cronometer would just automatically do the calculation for us, you have no idea how very time consuming it is, because I have to do the calculations myself on a calculator or have to google. For example if adding milk and the package says 1 cup milk at 250 grams then have to do the calculations when adding more serving sizes like 1/4 cup or a tablespoon etc.... and its even more time consuming as wet foods are usually measured in ounces.

Lizzy

Comments

• Hello @fitgirl ,

For branded and packaged foods, we always use the standard serving size given on the label of a packaged food product. The most accurate way to measure your foods is to weigh them on a kitchen scale and use the 'gram' serving size option.

Most liquids will be measured in Fluid Ounces, not Ounces.

We have thought about adding all of the serving sizes automatically, however volumetric measures are so problematic for some foods where density is dependant on cut sizes or packing. The information would be wrong for a lot of cases....

We recommend focusing your searches to generic equivalents instead of specific brands, where you will get the best results in our software. Also, these generic food entries often have many different serving size options to help. For example, you could search for ''Milk, 2% Fat, Reduced Fat''. For more tips on how to get the most nutrition data from Cronometer, check out this blog post on the topic: https://cronometer.com/blog/6-tips-getting-nutrition-data/

If you are creating custom foods, you have the option to add additional serving sizes by clicking the green '+' in the servings section. If you have a kitchen scale you can determine the gram weight of your food, and then add in the weight for the different serving sizes.

Kind regards,
    Marie-Eve

Marie-Eve
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• edited April 2019

sorry I think my post was a bit confusing it didn’t totally address what I was asking lol .

I mentioned that it would be great to have an option to add a custom food in ounces cause right now we only have the option of grams, I have attached a pic of what I mean, on the right side you see grams that’s what I referring to, it would be nice to have it in ounces as well, and when adding additional sizes it would be great for Cron-O-Meter to calculate the grams automatically. Hope that makes sense I know my first post could have been confusing

Lizzy

• Hello @fitgirl ,

Thanks for clarifying! I'll make sure its on our feature request list!

Marie-Eve
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer