How many people on here are on the keto diet?

Comments

• I am!

@Buckskin If you are doing keto, shouldn't you be counting net carbs? That is carbs minus fiber. I am doing very well on about 15 g of NET carbs a day. If you eat a cup of brocoolli it has 3.7 net carbs in a cup. I put a couple tablespoons of butter on it and which makes it even more healthy for a ketogenic diet.

• I did this diet (South Beach) to lose weight and it was highly effective lost 40 lbs. I then switched to vegan diet after LDL went too high and now trying to get it down. You should consider a vegan diet when you get your target weight. My weight is now stable and trying to go off BP drugs.

• OMG!!! NET carbs not total carbs! I’m currently doing Dr Cohens and have just started to learn about ketosis after watching ‘The Obesity Myth’.
    I was about to cut out all my fruit to get under 20g....I can still have 1 piece (phew!)
    Is there any danger if your NET carb intake is lower than 10g?

• I'm prepping to start my keto diet after Thanksgiving. Getting tracker set up, checking out recipes and how to do keto. Any key points to setting up the tracker for keto?

• @Ketochix Cutting your total carbs to lower than 20g is typically only needed for the therapeutic affects of ketosis and that is usually only warranted if you are really sick (like cancer). Keeping net carbs at 10g would be more strict then that. As for how safe or healthy that is, is not known yet. It is best to get with a keto expert here and at our practitioner page (help tab when logged in) on Cronometer.

Best regards,
    Frank Alvarez
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• @ mollysmom Here is a basic keto video our staff put out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3N_XyFfs_8

Best regards,
    Frank Alvarez
    cronometer.com

• Thank you! That was very helpful.

• I am!

extra fat? well, my 20oz coffee at 0445 has 3Tbsp HWC, 2Tbsp Power Creamer, and two scoops of Ballistic Keto MCT powder. for ~62g fat!!

-- Finn!

• I am!

I have been on Keto for 30 days and haven't lost any weight. I use meal plans from Diet Doctor and the Cron but find it hard to stay within the suggested amounts. Suggestions?

• I am!

What guidelines are you having trouble staying within? Are you getting enough fat? (I shoot for 80 + percent of calories from fat) Do you have much weight to lose? (the less you have to lose, the more stubborn it can be)

-- Finn!

• I am!

I've been eating a ketogenic diet for nearly 8 months now. I fell off the wagon a bit over the past month, and have gained four lbs. back of the 40 that I've lost. Today is a new day, and I am back full force!

• I am!

I eat Ketogenic. I count net carbs and keep them under 40. I don't believe in fat bombs, preferring instead to let my body take fat from my significant fat stores within my body. I eat 150g protein/40g net carbs/80g fat and now only have 15 pounds to go to get to goal weight. I am never hungry, feel great, and my lab work has been coming back awesome! As someone with hypothyroid issues, this is the only nutrition program that I have been able to lose weight on. I lift weights regularly as well and my strength is through the roof. I just LOVE this way of eating.

• Nope, trying another method.

I had mixed results on keto. I lost 20 lb in 4 months on Keto plus Banting food lists which restrict all grains, most fruits and underground veggies. After a few weeks I added in Intermittent Fasting 17-20 hours between dinner and breakfast. Then added in a modified Varady's Every Other Day diet (alternating 700/1100 calories). My weight loss was a little over a pound a week.

The positives: My energy level is through the roof, and that started very early on, within the first two weeks. I fit into clothes I have not worn for years. Everyone tells me I look great. During dieting my blood pressure was normal and sometimes low.

The negatives: My LDL, HDL and total cholesterol numbers are all worse. (Saturated fats do that to my lipid levels, whether grass-fed butter, virgin coconut oil or not trimming visible fats from meat. I tested all three individually over a period of years. Avoiding those three saturated fats, using olive oil instead, and daily flaxseed oil Budwig morning smoothies improve my lipid levels.) I am considered pre-diabetic. My fasting blood sugars are more variable than before, with occasional big swings up and down while fasting. From careful record keeping I was able to determine that when I eat 90-95 grams of gross carbs plus protein on one day, my subsequent first morning fasting blood sugar levels are normal, if I go over 100 grams combined carbs plus protein, or eat carbs alone without protein the evening before, my first morning fasting blood sugars rise too high. (Also, my weight loss is on a two day delay. That is, when I have a very low calorie day, or exercise a lot, I will see the loss on a scale two days later.) Other negatives from keto are my remaining fat is softer and kind of flabbier, the wrinkles on my face are worse, and my skin is dryer. Now that I am not dieting so severely my blood pressure is higher.

At present, I am targeting good nutrition (am using Abascal's Anti-Inflammatory TQI plate proportions), exercise, and want to have very slow weight loss moving forward; a half to a pound every month or two would be fine.

• @sea Thanks for sharing! I wanted to add a bit to what you experienced and maybe why you saw what you saw. It may remove some of the negatives you reported.

Here is a pretty good article to help explain blood work and a keto diet: https://www.ruled.me/the-ketogenic-diet-and-cholesterol/

Things to note are your LDL is made up of more pieces then most of us, and doctors, know. You need to know that breakdown to truly understand what is going on. Basically LDL has 2 additional sub-parts. One is good and one is bad. Your total LDL may go up and it may be that the good LDL sub-particle is why. This is very typical on a keto diet. Your doctor, not knowing this, will only see your LDL go up and they will let you know how bad that is for you. The test you get done is the "particle test" or "NMR" LDL test.

This test is out there and we all need to let our docs know and have that test run. It is a much better marker for heart disease then LDL and cholesterol. Hope this helps.

Best regards,
    Frank Alvarez
    cronometer.com

• Nope, trying another method.

Thank you Frank! That is an interesting and helpful link.

What my cardiologist said is that lipids are mostly genetically determined, and there is a much greater association with high blood pressure than cholesterol on cardiovascular risk. He also noted that I had 0 calcification on my cardio CT in 2014, so that is in my favor.

• Hi, I'm new to Conometer. It looks good but I struggle to understand the program percentages vs grams vs kcal consumed vs deficit.
    1. Calories Summary; FATS shows grams & %on the green line summary, how does it relate to the Calorie Break Down wheel beside it?
    2. Calories summary ; FATS The top line showing kcal consumed shows a figure in black, a figure for kcal and a % figure in green. How do these figures relate to the green summary line and Lipid info of nutrient targets as between the three, there are 3 different percentages.
    I'm lost, can anyone clarify this for me please.

• The energy breakdown and pie chart are showing the % of your calories that came from each macro type.

The 4 separate macro bars below the calorie breakdown show the gram amounts of each and % of your daily target.

• Hi, I'm new to Cronometer and transitioning to a Ketogenic diet, because I want to be around to see my kids grow up! Quite surprising how the carbs add up. I've ordered a recipe book from Mercola.com but until I get that I'm trying to eat enough of the good fat & finding it hard to reach my daily target.
    The sight is a great tool, saves a lot of work and number crunching.
    Anyone care to share their thoughts on how to consume enough of the good fat?

• I am!

@Stu a lot of people use "fat bombs" which you should be able to google to get some ideas.

I have an oil 'blend' I do in the morning and evening which is 2tbsp mct, 2tsp black seed oil, and 2tsp omega-3 fish oil. This gives me ~48g fat each time. Work up to it, as too much fat right away can give you disaster pants

-- Finn!

• Thanks @finnd1 I understand what you mean about building up your fat intake over time!

• I am!

Hi. I'm 1 month into high-fat keto. I have done the high-protein keto version (New Direction) twice and lost 90 pounds. Between October and early last month, I went back on the New Direction program to lose 30 pounds I had put back on.

After reading and watching documentaries about obesity, T2D, the sugar industry, etc., I decided to make the switch from high-protein to high-fat and am so glad I did. I eat my favorite foods guilt-free and continue to lose weight while having the energy of a superhero.

** I am looking for a new nutritionist as I was very dishonorably discharged yesterday by my old one after she reviewed my new meal plan and macros :D

• Good on you @ESueM....it's important to take control of your health, no one else can do it better! My doctor sounds like he was from the same school as your nutritionist.

• I am!

I'll be starting back on keto Monday (Food prep day Sunday). I have done keto in 2016 for 4 months successfully loosing about 25 lbs down to a comfortable weight of 175 and then I did it again jan 2017-April 2017 and got down to my lowest weight ever at 168.
    ( I had RNY 9 years ago so this as low as I really expect to comfortably go without a cosmetic surgery). Unfortunately I slid off the wagon last summer and then I got rid of 240 lbs of an (ex) husband weighing me down !!

SO! If I am going in, I go all in.. so meal prep and fridge loaded with snacks.. make sure I have food on hand that is ok to eat for those first 2 weeks I'm usually still really hungry.. then it tapers off more. I am starting at 203lbs this time,.. so again, another 20-25lbs. I'd like to get rid of it all-- which appears to be all in my love handles and "back boobs"- you ladies know what I mean!
    I have usually done a "lazy keto" (aka low carb) but still started out tracking to make sure I was under my net carbs.. and always got into Ketosis and stayed for the weight loss and energy and wonderful feeling of loving life. .. God, I miss it...
    _ but I never followed closely to my other macro nutrients. I think I will give that a try this time around and see how my weight loss goes.

• I am!

I am back on the ketogenic diet starting in mid November. With holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas I just ignore dieting. I did this once before back four years ago and along with fasting went from 270 down to 220 pounds. I slowly creeped back up to 240 which I was at November 15. Since then keeping my macros at 25 net carbs and around 60 for protein and fasting starting on New Year's for 12 days I was down to 212 this morning.

Like all diets the biggest problem is sticking to it. I plan on ending my fast in a day or two and will stay to the ketogenic diet with some form of intermittent fasting and monthly five-day fast or a five-day fast mimicking diet. Once you train your body to live off the fat skipping eating for a day is relatively easy. By doing this I'm not really worried about my total calories but I will try to maintain my macros so I stay in kurtosis

• I'm transitioning into a ketogenic diet, starting to increase my fats while cutting down on the carbs and protein. I'm doing this because my health became my hobby, and I have kids that I want to see grow up more importantly. I'm reading that people seem to be on the keto diet then off the keto diet, does "off" mean revert back to the high protein high carb diets we've become accustomed to? I'm interested in the ketogenic diet because of the health benefits of mitochondrial metabolic therapy...but understand that you need to stay on the diet to receive those benefits. I mean I don't see the benefits of losing x amount of pounds only to die prematurely of something like cancer etc. It really is a big change to commit to this diet, I'm finding the hardest thing to ease up on is alcohol!! I used to rely on the 80/20 rule, 80% of the time eat healthy the other 20% enjoy. Does it come down to how much we value our health. You always hear stories of people being diagnosed with something deciding to eat healthy, why does it take that to motivate and change people's habits.
    I'm trying to make a change for the positive, I guess for me it's the mental side of it I'm struggling with...does anyone understand me?

• I am!

@stu keto for life for all the reasons you mentioned. The diet is so easy for me, with so many great food choices, I have no reason to even want to change.

-- Finn!

• edited January 2018

I have started keto recently and am struggling a bit. After all those years of calorie restricted eating it takes getting used to. I do have health reasons for starting this journey. (67) I am amazed at my ability to ditch the sugar and carbs (as is my husband) I am amazed I am not hungry and have lots of energy. I am doubly amazed that I do not miss my glass of red wine in the evening. Let’s be honest, the glass of wine I used to have (since age 40) that easily turned into three glasses sometimes. I am struggling with eating fat, even healthy fat. And TDEE is very very difficult

• I am!

Just started seriously using cron-o-meter. Switched from my previous food tracker because of the ability to track macro and micro nutrients.
    I've been "doing" KETO since Dec 2015. Lost 70 lbs by Oct 2016. I have gained 20 lbs since Oct 2016. My fault I got lazy with tracking and exercise. I Love this way of eating. A change in thinking about the role of food in my life has made the biggest difference. Food as fuel, not entertainment! I chose this way due to health issues. I am off all meds (blood pressure and diabetes) maintain consistent and low blood sugars. This was the biggest motivator for me.Now I need to learn to maintain my weight.
    Check out the facebook pages Impulsive Keto, and Keto Fit. They are a wealth of information from macros calculators (wieght loss and athletic) to ideas to improve muscle mass/fat mass ratios and support from a lot of knowledgeable people.
    Excited to be here. hope I can figure out this community section.

• I am!

The Impulsive Keto site seems to have a lot of odd looking links-how long have you been using it and have there been any problems? The Keto Fit-I googled it and didn't come up with anything. could you post a link?

"I've never considered excessive sanity a virtue" Mike Uris, San Antonio Express-News, 2002

• I am!

Quilter_Jane1 I went to the impulsive site keto calculator and it said 1,093 calories and that is crap. I lose on 1600 calories-something isn't right on that site. Was I an abberation? How many calories did it give you?

"I've never considered excessive sanity a virtue" Mike Uris, San Antonio Express-News, 2002