B12 Nutrient Target Settings??

B12 (Cobalamin)
Minimum:
µg
Maximum:
µg
Use custom values instead of RD

QUESTION: On a plant based diet what should I set my daily target values at? I don't understand (pg). I take a daily supplement of B12 and want to use custom values, but am not sure what to put in the field. It is set above at 2.4 and after taking my daily B12 spray It shows that I am at 20833% on the Nutrient Targets. That seems like a lot.

Comments

• Why you should use another B12 target if you are on a plant based diet ? I think the official RDA of B12 is for everyone. If it shows you too much, then maybe you take too much.

I apologise for my misspellings, as English is not my native language.

• @Chicks33

The data used to set the requirements for vitamin B12 was based on those following an omnivore diet. In practice, 2.4 mcg is unlikely to replenish the stores of a vegan who's getting little to no B12 from their diet.

Clinical practice guidelines recommend a minimum daily intake of 50 mcg per day on a vegan diet. You can either supplement this amount (or more) daily or take 1000 mcg 2-3 x per week.

Lastly, make sure you get regular bloodwork to ensure that your body is absorbing the B12 you are supplementing.

Kind regards,

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• Why would it matter what diet you follow, as long as you take the recommended dose of B12 ? Why do omnivores need only 2.4 mcg ?

I apologise for my misspellings, as English is not my native language.

• @Marus

Omnivores only need that little because they consume enough in their daily diet to keep body stores replenished. Since vegans will naturally get 0 mcg of daily B12, their stores will deplete over time (can take 1-2 years).

Kind regards,

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• edited April 2019

@Marus @Chicks33 B12 Absorption and Intake is a bit complex and not the same. If you take a 500 microgram B12 as suplement only 1.5 microgram and 1% of the 500 can be absorbed per meal - so around 6.5 mcg. And this differs person to person and especially age.
    As an omnivore you constantly supply B12 through out the day where every time up to 1.5 mcg +1% can be at least absorbed.

It would be nice if chronometer could support the absorption issue but as long as you take a B12 supplement and do 2x year testing of your Holo TC levels as vegan you are fine.