A Question About Butter

My aim is to limit saturated fat to 10% of my daily intake. For me that's about 200 calories or about 22 gram of saturated fat. I can accomplish this if I limit butter consumption. Any suggestions for doing this? I have butter with toast and jam; butter on vegetables; butter on baked potatoes, etc. Are there butter substitutes that are recommended or other oils with less saturated fat that will still taste good? Or are there ways to make tasty vegetables and bread?

Comments

• @Nemo

Good for you for limiting your intake of saturated fat! This was a key recommendation that came out of the unbiased evidence review that formed the recommendations for Canada's new food guide.

You will likely need to do a little trial and error to find the products that you enjoy in place of butter. Here are a few of my suggestions:

When it comes to fat, replacing saturated fats with unsaturated fats is key. Generally, unsaturated fats come from either plants or fish (exception is palm and coconut oil). Technically, tub margarine contains plant-based fats, but it can be highly processed.

Hope these suggestions help!

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• Not quite direct butter substitutes but definitely recommend avocados on toast and olive oil with baked vegetables. "Taste good" is however very subjective...

@Susan_RD_101 Wish I could have tahini, but sesame seeds seem to give me bad skin!