Options

USDA, Fooddata Central, Poblano peppers

I cook with Poblano peppers alot. Usually I log "Jalapeno peppers, raw" hoping that is the most complete nutrient profile available.
Today on the USDA website I found "Jalapeno peppers, raw" in the Fooddata Central section.
https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/fdc-app.html#/?query=poblano pepper
The source is the Food and Nutrient Database for Dietary Studies by the USDA Agricultural Research Service, Beltsville, Md.
On the page linked above it shows in part:

Carbohydrate, by difference 1.11 g
Fiber, total dietary 0.408 g
Sugars, total including NLEA 0.576 g

I entered the data as a custom food. Not sure I understand the meaning of "Carbohydrate, by difference."
1. On the page to enter data for custom food I just entered those as Carbs, Fiber, and Sugar. Correct?
2. Does Cronometer consider the Food and Nutrient Database for Dietary Studies reliable?
3. Any chance that dataset could be included in the Cronometer database?

"Eat food, not too much, mostly plants." Michael Pollan

Comments

• Options

Hi OldHobo,

Sounds like you have entered the carbs, fiber and sugar correctly for your custom food.

We do consider the foods from the USDA Food and Nutrient Database a reliable source for nutrition information.

We will be updating our database to include the foods that were incorporated when the USDA moved their database to FoodData Central.

'Carbohydrates by difference' means that they measure the other components in the food, then subtract them from the total weight and assumed the rest comes from carbohydrates i.e. the difference between 100 and the sum of the percentages of water, protein, fat, ash and alcohol.

Best,

Karen Stark
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• Options

Thank you, Karen. I just now noticed in my first post when I said, "I found
    'Jalapeno peppers, raw' in the Fooddata Central section." I meant to say, "I found "Poblano peppers, raw"..."

Pretty sure you understood anyway though because your answer makes perfect sense even if my question didn't.

So I guess I'll wait six months or so before asking again about including the new dataset.
    :)

"Eat food, not too much, mostly plants." Michael Pollan