Options

Micronutrient Presets - Athlete / Strength Training

edited July 2021 in Ask An Expert

Hi,

Just got the gold version. I’ll give it a good one year trial & see how it develops (coming from years MyFitnessPal, and couple of months just checking the freeware)

Now, I’m looking for macronutrients target values, or better yet a preset, for Strength Training amateur working out 5 days a week. It would be great if it can be further optimized by age.

Any such table or maybe someone who’s good with sharing experiences ?

Regards,

Yuval.

Answers

• Options
    edited July 2021

Presets would be complicated. It’s not just a matter of age. There are as many “perfect” macro numbers for strength training as there are strength trainers. Everyone seems to have the right answer. The correct amounts are the ones that work for you to achieve your goals. Are you trying to bulk? Trying to lose weight? Trying to keep weight but lower body fat?

I can give you what I’ve found to work for me. I’m pretty sure others will comment with quite different ideas. Note, too, that I’m not a nutritionist, so I can give my ideas based on experience and some reading of layman’s books. Take this with a grain of salt, unless you’re watching your sodium intake ;)

So, here’s my take on it. The first order of business is knowing total calories. Total calories impact weight loss or gain. Once total calories are established based on weight goals, then macros come into play.

A good general place to start is 1.6 to 2.2 grams protein per kg of lean mass. Fat 20-30% of total calories, and carbs make up the rest. Ultimately, the right numbers for you are the ones you can live with in the long term. I’m partial to fats - coconut, nuts, and seeds - so I go a little higher with fats and lower carbs a little.

However you slice it, stick to one scheme for some time (at least a month), then adjust based on results. When you first change your diet, things may fluctuate wildly. It takes time to get to some stability to allow for sound judgment on how to adjust.

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.