Minimum calorie limits?

edited December 2021 in Feature Requests

As far as I know, 1200 is the absolute minimum daily calories that is safe to consume, and even then, only for very short, sedentary women. But chronometer will offer calorie limits that are significantly lower than that. I recently updated my weight and noticed my calories dropped below 1200 yet again to compensate for that. I've even seen the app recommend less than 1000 calories. I understand this is an automatic calculation and I'm able to adjust my goal rate etc to avoid it, but it's troubling that if others don't know this info, they could be misled into drastically and dangerously under-eating.

It must be possible to have some type of notice pop up like "this rate of weight loss would require an unsafe calorie deficit so here is the safe minimum, and here is how long your loss will take at this rate" instead of just recommending things like literally only eating 800 calories/day if I were to adjust my goal to 1.75lb/week.

Comments

• Thanks for your feedback tofu4us!

It could definitely be helpful to have some more educational messages if your energy target may be too low.

Karen Stark
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• Just here to plus-one the feature request for an optional minimum calorie threshold (user-entry box) so that daily calories doesn't go below that level even on a low-activity day. This is aligned with what other food tracking apps do (e.g., Noom, WW).

• BunBun
    edited January 2023

I’m a 5’4” woman using a smartwatch that syncs my daily activity, and once that daily activity is accounted for at the end of the day, my weight loss goal of 1 pound a week is totally fine and around 1200 calories. But what happens is that if I plan my food for the next day, Cronometer tells me I only have 850 calories to work with:

I tried using a custom energy target, but there doesn’t seem to be any combination of settings that shows me the calories remaining to stay at a 500 calorie deficit without telling me to go below 1200 calories. I want Cronometer to work exactly as it does now, except when calculating calories remaining, I absolutely never want it to go below 1200. Could I please get an option to set a minimum number of calories while using the weight loss targets? My goal isn’t unrealistic for my daily activity, so a warning won’t help me - I just need to not have Cronometer look like I’m 400 calories “over” and feel like I’m being penalized when I’m planning my meals for a safe minimum before my watch activity comes in. For context, the end of a normal day, with no exercise, looks like this for me:

I like that I can see my daily activity included because it gives me some flexibility - for example, that day, I wasn’t extra hungry so I stuck with 1200, but other days I might do a snack in addition or a drink. I also sometimes have lower energy days, and even when that happens, I never want to go below 1200 for health reasons. Please, please add a calorie minimum - I love the accuracy of my watch data, but this is really frustrating.