Options

What are the best settings if I'm going to be using a Garmin device?

I don't really care about bringing over heart rate, because I know Garmin's heart rate readings are worthless compared to a chest strap, but it'd be nice if my activities came over naturally...I tried syncing it, and I got a Daily Activity (Garmin) entry, which I'm guessing is just calculated off of my steps? I'm not sure who is handling the calculation here, Garmin or Cronometer, and what metrics it is based off of.

It also imported my workouts automatically, which is nice, because I usually have to time it with my watch, then manually enter it into Cronometer later.

What are the best settings if I'm going to be using Garmin for everything and I wear it pretty much 24/7 unless charging it? Do I just set Cronometer to no activity? Or do I still do my best to estimate it, and let Cronometer figure out the difference? I'm concerned about overeating if it duplicates estimated burned calories and I'm concerned about undereating if it is designed to be used with both the Garmin Daily Import AND the Cronometer profile setting.

Comments

• Options

I have the same question. Did you figure this out? Too bad no one responded with an answer.

• Options

Hey Babs16,

I wasn't able to directly reply to your post, so hopefully you get a notification for this. I did figure it out!

In Cronometer, there were a few steps to set up.

1. Go to "More."
    2. Select "Connect Apps & Devices."
    3. Select "Devices."
    4. Connect your Garmin device.
    5. I toggled on Import Activity (this is mandatory) and import Weight. The others I didn't really care about.
    6. Back out of there and navigate to "Targets."
    7. For energy settings, set the Activity Level to NONE. This is the really important part.

Now, by default, at the start of the day, Cronometer will give you your calorie budget based on if you hadn't moved an inch all day long. Then, as you get steps and perform activities through Garmin, it will estimate how many calories you burned doing that, and your "remaining calories for the day" number will continually go up as the day goes on.

One important thing though, make sure to open the Garmin app before Cronometer to force a sync. Otherwise, Cronometer will say you have fewer calories remaining in your calorie budget.