Options

Has a giant, historical 'bug' been fixed for Garmin users ?

I recently noticed that my imported calories from Garmin no longer matched what Garmin stated. To cut a long story short, it appears that Cronometer has always imported active calories *plus* resting calories for each activity; i.e., for all the time I've been using Garmin and Cronometer, resting calories has been counted twice whenever I've imported activity (!)

Around a week ago (?) this changed to the above: resting calories are now *deducted* when importing.

Looks like one of your Developers has had a giant 'Oops!' moment 🤷🏼‍♂️ Can you please confirm this has changed ? (It would help me to explain why my calorific deficit hasn't 'worked' quite as expected for the past few months.)

I know I'm not imagining this; I've verified by comparing Garmin Connect activity to what Cronometer imported over the past few weeks. It has definitely changed.

Comments

• Options

Also, and I raised a ticket about it once, any Daily Activity (over and above expected levels) used to be very unreliable. This has also changed very recently and is now much more 'stable'.

• Options

Is anybody monitoring this forum ?

• Options

Yes, there was a discrepancy in how Cronometer calculated and imported active calories from Garmin, particularly regarding the inclusion of resting calories.

To address this issue, our developer made adjustments to ensure that the active calories imported from Garmin more accurately reflect the user's actual energy expenditure. Specifically, they now subtract the Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) during exercise duration to prevent double-counting of resting calories. This adjustment aims to align Cronometer's imported calorie data more closely with Garmin's reported values, ultimately providing users with a more accurate representation of their total calorie burn.

It's worth noting that Garmin provides separate "active kcal" values for daily activity and individual workouts, allowing for a more detailed breakdown of energy expenditure across different activities. By making these refinements, we aim to ensure consistency and accuracy in calorie tracking for our users.

If you have any further questions or concerns regarding these changes, please don't hesitate to reach out for clarification.

• Options

Thanks, Matt. I knew I wasn't imagining it.

• Options

Matt, how does this recalculation mesh with having set activity rate to sedentary when importing activities?

"I've never considered excessive sanity a virtue" Mike Uris, San Antonio Express-News, 2002

• Options

The activity level set in Cronometer serves as a general baseline for estimating your daily calorie needs based on your typical activity level outside of specific exercises. However, when importing 'active kcal' from Garmin, the imported calorie data overrides this baseline because it's more specific and accurate to your actual activities.

Enabling the "replace with imported activity" option ensures that the activity level set in Cronometer is replaced by the detailed activity data imported from Garmin. Therefore, the recalculation to subtract Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) during exercise duration remains consistent regardless of the activity level setting in Cronometer. (in your case setting it to sedentary) This ensures that the imported calorie data reflects your true energy expenditure during activities, providing you with a more accurate representation of your total calorie burn.