Options

20lbs down

I recently received some unfortunate, but unsurprising blood test results that indicated that my lifelong battle with weight had reached an impasse and if I didn't do something soon to fix it, I would have to face bigger consequences. So, enter Cronometer and tracking and me suddenly using my nerdy research skills (I'm a librarian) to learn about good nutrition.

It's interesting. I've been on this self-imposed diet for a month. Calories around 1550, keeping fat and sugar under 60g, added sugar has been around 16g. Taking supplements and vitamins. Eating a lot of fruit and oatmeal. And wheat germ? But last week, I was gobsmacked when I went back to the doctor for a follow-up appointment -- three weeks after my initial visit -- and discovered I had lost 14lbs. (And my blood pressure was lower as well) Doctor was impressed... so was I! Particularly as most days I don't find myself to be overly hungry or focused on eating (though oddly focused on planning what to eat). Since then I've lost another 6lbs. (If you're tracking the timeframe, that's 20lbs in one month, which probably gives you an indication of how much weight I need to lose.... :#)

I've noticed that I don't seem to be getting enough Iron usually around 65% of recommended or Vitamins B1, 2, and 3. I'm not skipping meat, but eating a lot of ground turkey and chicken. Have added basil to a lot of dishes (though it is not my favorite seasoning). And I noticed red potatoes seem to work, though I'm trying to keep that to once or twice a week, given how starchy they are (I add veggies to them, when I make them).

Anyway, besides the iron and Vitamin B, the last thing I need to tackle is exercise. I walk a little, but find it horrifically monotonous (even with listening to podcasts or music). So if anyone has something they've really gotten into that a newbie like myself can dip my toe in, would love a recommendation!

Comments

• Options

Congrats on your progress so far. I don't have an exercise suggestion for you that you would like better. I enjoy walking with a friend who is on a similar lifestyle journey and we discuss recipes, cooking, accomplishments, new ideas etc.

• Options

Hi, Maybe an exercise bike in front of the tv for 30 mins. per day? It goes fast when watching your favorite show. :)

• Options
    edited February 22

I've found that I can do just 20 minutes of aerobics and get 34 cardio minutes per session. I started without the step and then when that got manageable, moved to a step without risers. I enjoy the short duration and the benefits. I'm using an old Jane Fonda tape I had with different instructors so the time flies, I enjoy the music, and, all in all, enjoy my workout. I tried 3 days a week for 30 minutes which gave me 50 cardio minutes per session, but it was too much for me. I'll be 70 next year, have arthritis in my feet and a tricky back, but after several months of this, I feel healthier and stronger than ever. The video I use is on YouTube and here's a link. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8WgI2JtNzQ&t=162s&ab_channel=AdamBrink

"I've never considered excessive sanity a virtue" Mike Uris, San Antonio Express-News, 2002

• Options

Good for you. We are never to old to get healthier and fitter. I will be 82 next month, and enjoy a 80 minute walk on the trails 3 to 5 times a week.