Going over daily percentages

Hi, what if I am over my fat allowance at lunch?

Comments

• It depends on your goals.

• @DebMO

When it comes to macronutrients (i.e. fat, protein, and carbs), going over the limit that you've set for yourself isn't really an issue... At least in the short-term (there's debate re: the ideal macronutrient content of one's diet, but I think this can't be discussed without considering the quality of macronutrients).

When it comes to micronutrients, it's generally recommended to stay below the maximum level, if one is shown. The "maximum" level for vitamins and minerals is the highest level of nutrient intake that won't cause any negative impact to human health. Most "maximums" typically apply to supplements, not food.

Let me know if you'd like me to clarify further!

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• Thank you.

• I am over the li

it for manganese, and often for vitamin k, and copper. I eat wheat germ 1 ounce every day to help meet vitamin e and zinc but it is 210% of the daily requirement for manganese and when added to oatmeal and hemp milk and strawberries and sunflower seeds - just breakfast is tough and then adding greens and tofu or beans for lunch and dinner - yikes!!! Any suggestions?

• @cherylmcg

I don't see anything alarming with your intakes of these nutrients since they are from food, not supplements (generally considered safer since your body tends to absorb them differently). Also, it looks like you are consuming a lot of whole foods, which is wonderful!

I would just ensure that you aren't over the "maximums" of these nutrients, which is the level of intake where no negative health consequences are seen.

cronometer.com

• Thank you. I exceeded manganese again and vitamin k 2 days ago. I’ll have to figure it out!

• @cherylmcg

I would also suggest generating a nutrition report (which I believe is available to gold members); this will allow you to see your nutrient intake over several weeks and months, which is a more accurate picture of your true nutrient intake.
    Kind regards,

cronometer.com

• Thank you, yes when looking at a week in the Trends report there are no excedences!

• I eat wheat germ 1 ounce every day to help meet vitamin e and zinc but it is 210% of the daily requirement for manganese and when added to oatmeal and hemp milk and strawberries and sunflower seeds - just breakfast is tough and then adding greens and tofu or beans for lunch and dinner. KrogerFeedback

• @Mildred321

It doesn't sound like your manganese is over the upper limit, so I wouldn't be too concerned. :)

Even then, manganese toxicity from food (as opposed to water, supplements, or inhalents) is so incredibly rare that I suspect there are few, if any, studies on it.)

Your food intake sounds very nutritious!

cronometer.com

• @Susan_RD_101

"When it comes to micronutrients, it's generally recommended to stay below the maximum level, if one is shown. The "maximum" level for vitamins and minerals is the highest level of nutrient intake that won't cause any negative impact to human health."

Are you saying the 100% isn't the daily recommend intake but the safe intake?
    It's my understanding as a non-pro, that excess fat-soluble are stored for later use (to a maximum level)
    Excess water-soluble vitamines leave the body.
    So excess water-soluble is waste of money so to speak, but excess fat-soluble could be used to fill depleted storage.

Only when the levels are really extreme they start causing negative effects.

??????????????

• @Krav

It's challenging to answer your question, as it really depends on the nutrient of study and how quickly deficiency will develop for that particular nutrient. No vitamin and mineral will be depleted from one day (or usually, even a week or two) of low intake. However, body stores could start to decrease over time.

For the general healthy population, they should aim for an intake of at least 100% of the RDA or AI. It's fine to go above this level, but one should not exceed the UL, which is what you quoted above. In some situations, exceeding the UL can have mild side effects (and may only apply to supplements), in other cases, the negative outcomes of high intakes can be significant.

Fat soluble nutrients tend to be more easily stored in the body, however, maintaining these stores often still requires a daily maintenance dose.

Let me know if you have any further questions!

cronometer.com

• I ask because I'm on Keto strict and am unable to get half othe nutrients at 100%. Quite a few hardly reach 30%.

1 multi vitamin solves that. But most bars go over 100%, but don't color red.

Decides of that I don't believe vitamins from a pill are the same as those found in food.

• @Krav

I wouldn't worry about it. Are you using keto to address some sort of health condition?

• @BRBWaffles The only health condition I'm sometimes accused of is Insanity :-)
    Seriously now, no health condition at all. Haven't been sick for decades.

More on topic, both my BMI and Body Fat are still good/green.
    But the thing is that I did put on some weight, I do have a small belly.
    For me the only useful weight gain, is muscle mass. Muscle weight serves a good purpose, but (belly) fat just slows me down.

I had some bias (Atkins), but to be honest with you I just picked Keto without a very solid reason. It's part of the options and does all the calculations for me was one of the reasons I picked it.

• @Krav

In that case I would reconsider your diet, on the basis that it appears to be making it more difficult for you to meet your basic nutritional needs.

• @BRBWaffles
    The diet automatically get more relaxed as I reach the goal?
    It calculates things dynamicly, so the daily targets will slowly change over time?

• @Krav - I agree with @BRBWaffles ; keto diets can be used in a medical context as an option to manage health conditions. That said, I don't think there is enough evidence to suggest that they are optimal for good health and longevity. Include foods that are nutrient-dense, which by default, will have some carbs too!

Kind regards,

cronometer.com