How to increase HDL

Eating keto has really improved my cholesterol scores but one area I could do better in is to incease my HDL totals.

What are some ways to increase your HDL?

Comments

• @steel_horses

HDL cholesterol doesn't respond as well to food as it does to lifestyle changes. The number one way to increase HDL cholesterol is to increase activity. Losing weight and quitting smoking, if you are a smoker, also helps.

Drinking wine has been shown to increase HDL cholesterol, but I hesitate to recommend this since alcohol can also drive up triglycerides, which we don't want to happen. Thus, I would focus on lifestyle changes as a primary intervention.

Best of luck!

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• Thanks, I have increased my physical activity a good deal since my last cholesterol test. Have to wait til my next test to see any improvements.

• decrease carbs, increase fats and walk a little. Before Atkins, my HDL was 32, after a year on Atkins it is 68 and in the heart protective zone. (I'm post menopausal as well)

"I've never considered excessive sanity a virtue" Mike Uris, San Antonio Express-News, 2002