Hypoglycaemia

I attempted a 96 hour water fast but discontinued it at 87 hours when feeling shaky and very low energy-discovered my blood sugar was 2.9 mmol (normal 3.3-5.5 mmol [Canada] ). Does this mean that I should limit the timeframe of water fasts or include bone broth in it? Sometimes feel if I drink bone broth that it isn't a pure water fast.

Best Answer

• @LynnM

Having your blood glucose go that low can be quite dangerous (even potentially fatal). While I don't medically support water fasts, I know that many people choose to follow them for religious or spiritual purposes. It's very, very important to be followed by a medical practitioner who can ensure that you are not at risk because of the fast.

I would definitely shorten the time span and also have a contingency plan in place if your blood sugars drop below 4.0 mmol/L. And as mentioned above, it's also important to be medically supervised throughout the fast.

Kind regards,

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

Answers

• What kind of diet program are you following? How long have you been on it? Is this your first attempt at a water fast?

Me, Sandee & German Shepherd Dog Zeus Full Time RVers that left Illinois for better weather.
    Using the KETO "diet" for weight loss but working on making keto a life style.
    Don

• Doing kept with intermittent fasting. Have done 3 day fasts which included bone broth. Did not have any issues at that time. Have also done 24 hour intermittent fast with no issues but they included bone broth. Was on Keto last year then off of it for 5 months. Currently on it since beginning on January 2020. This is first experience with just water fasts.

• I'm not familiar with "kept" but perhaps auto-correct jumped in. LOL Sounds like you are on Keto. I just started keto early January. I'm studying it with Dr. Nick's program. Personally, I think you may have jumped to the long fasts too early but that is my opinion. I'm doing a daily 18-6 now along with 30-40 minutes of moderate bike riding during the fast and am very comfortable with it. I've also really seen my urine ketone count peg at the max of the stick! (I'm getting my Keto-Mojo blood tester today! :) ) From Dr. Nick's perspective (as I best understand it.) I THINK he would suggest that anything but water might not be optimal during the fast. Perhaps you might be pushing it a bit too hard at this relatively early stage of your restart?

There is a medical phrase that says, "If it hurts, don't do it." IMHO, take it easy and don't rush things. It only will set you up for failure. Several small successes are much better than creating a huge failure.

YMMV

Me, Sandee & German Shepherd Dog Zeus Full Time RVers that left Illinois for better weather.
    Using the KETO "diet" for weight loss but working on making keto a life style.
    Don

• Thank you Susan. Historically I have fasted 1 to 3 days with no issue and it seems as I get older my metabolism is obviously changing so yes, I agree that I need to be very mindful of the process.

Regards,
    Lynn