Hair loss.

The internet is full of confusing advice and I'm ultra confused. Is there foods that can help slow or reverse hair loss or do I need to admit defeat and grow old gracefully?

Thanks for your help.

Best Answer

• Hello,

I get a lot of questions about diet and hair loss. Unfortunately, hair loss that follows a pattern (i.e. thinning from only one part of the head) is almost always due to genetics. In women, this can occur from hormone imbalances and with conditions like PCOS.

There are a few nutrients that can contribute to hair shedding (i.e. losing excess hair throughout the head) which include biotin, zinc, iron, and protein. Also, if someone is not eating enough calories or has lost a lot of weight rapidly, hair loss may occur.

Hope this helps!

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

Answers

• They say sons take after their mother's father. So if your maternal grandfather went bald, chances are you would, too. An older colleague of mine warned her sons very early on that they would lose their hair, so they were completely prepared for it when it happened.

Not a helpful reply, I know. Someone else might have something else.

• Hi thanks for your reply. My maternal grandfather keep his hair. My has thinned on the top a bit and I wondered if it was a dieting issue as I expected to go grey not bald following my granddad.

• Thanks for the info. Sounds like its all over. :)

• iirc there was some correlation between calcium intake and hair growth - but im not sure on it (lets face it no one here gets the calcium recommendations right? so might as well eat some more of it :p) - or drink water with high calcium (which id even suggest as ur main calcium source since green's calcium is absorbed so poorly due to oxalates)

or...of course....try drastically changing ur diet/macros!
    been high carb vegan? try high fat vegan! or even raw vegan..keto! substitute grains with fruit! eat only low GI food! just try out random stuff - my 7 weeks only meat experient didnt kill me so ull probably make it out alive (doing something less extreme) too :p

maybe on the way u actually accidentally find a better way of eating too or some ingredient that u didnt use in while