Which "Dynamic Macronutrient Target" Is Right For Me?

Hi,

I don't have an eating philosophy in terms of macro ratios, so how should I set the dynamic macronutrient target? I wasn't sure if "fixed" or "even" is the default.

Any thoughts & advice appreciated!

Comments

• Hello,

In this case, I find it best to opt for the following ratio:
    ~50% Carb
    ~20% Protein
    ~30% Fat

With ratios, it's important to ensure you are meeting minimum targets (i.e. all essential amino acids are met, you are getting enough fibre, etc.) as well as ensuring that the source of your carbs, protein, and fat are coming from mostly unprocessed, whole food sources.

Kind regards,

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• Susan,

I've enjoyed your posts....I originally set mine at 50:20:30 as you have in your post. I was having trouble hitting the carbs without too much sugar...I used fruit to hit it but that of course adds sugar. I think it's because I'm a big veggie eater which are low in carbs. I switched to 45:25:30 - upping the protein and reducing the carbs. What do you typically suggest to up carbs without upping sugar too much?

• @kahbakerjd

I'm glad you are enjoying the posts! :smile:

Beans and lentils are a great way to increase healthy carbs in your diet, without adding additional sugar. Plus, they are an excellent source of protein, along with soluble fibre that has benefits for a myriad of health conditions.

That said, when I'm analyzing sugar intake, I only count added sources, not those that come from whole foods like fruit and vegetables. Fruit is a great source of vitamins and antioxidants and have been shown to be protective in many different disease states.

The best way to eat fruit is with a source of protein or at the end of a meal.

Kind regards,

cronometer.com

• @Susan_RD_101

Thanks for the tip...never been a big bean eater but went out and bought some kidney beans and added a few to my lunch - Mexican chicken salad and it was just enough to up my carbs and protein into the "green" - I'm not sure what it says about me, but boy to I love getting my numbers into the "green".

I also bought some garbonzos for some homemade hummus.

• @kahbakerjd

Awesome! Beans are such a great addition to a meal. I love seeing my nutrients in the green too. :wink:

When increasing your fibre through beans, just be sure to increase your water intake as well; keeps any gastrointestinal symptoms to a minimum.

Kind regards,

cronometer.com