Options

Vegan Diet advices

Hi i am vegan since more than 2 years now but since i use Cronometer i see i am always to many Carbs like more than 400%...
I am making my own food every day with very good quality vegetables, ...
Do you have any advices or recommendation to reduce carbs in my diet? or is it normal ?
Celia :)

Comments

• Options

@CeliaM74

There is no upper limit for carbs... In general, a healthy amount is between 45-65% of your total calorie intake. I'm guessing if you are seeing 400% carb intake, it's because you have set a custom target, rather than choosing "fixed values" in your profile.

When it comes to carbs, I always suggest focusing on quality vs. quantity. Aim to include unprocessed, whole grains like:

• Oats
    • Bulgar
    • Barley
    • Wheat and rye berries
    • Quinoa
    • Sweet potato
    • Brown rice
    • Fruit
    • Vegetables
    • Legumes (pulses)
    • Nuts and seeds

If you are still looking to decrease your carbs, make more of your protein choices soy (tofu, tempeh) or seitan based.

Kind regards,

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• Options

@Susan_RD_101, thank you so much for your answer.

i need to check my settings of limits carbs because i don't remember to had put on some of them. 

Best regards 

• Options

Great advice Celia, 8 yrs vegan and never lost weight, I think I have been a carbivore this whole time ! Trying Cronometer for the first time and hope to lose at least 20kgs !

• Options
    i lost weight so i am trying to gain with cronometer. 😂 let me know about your goal 👍

• Options

will do !

• Options

Some vegan/WFPB people swear by the 80-10-10 diet, which is 80% carbs. I think those people are athletes though, who can take in enough calories that the 10-10 gives enough fat and protein to be healthy.

• Options

In any case, get your carbs from whole foods like fruits and vegetables, not processed foods like bread.

• Options

@andi As a fellow plant eater, I agree that the 80-10-10 isn't sustainable for most (there's often issues with protein adequacy based on timing, iron/zinc status, and lysine). I prefer a much more moderate approach of at least 50% CHO: 15-20% protein, and the remainder fat (from whole food sources).

Kind regards,

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• Options

I'm getting more than sufficient levels of all of those from 65 carb-16 protein-19 fat.