Options

Canned in Light Syrup, drained?

For canned pineapple, the NCCDB has:

• Pineapple, Canned in Light Syrup
  • Pineapple, Canned in Juice, Drained
  • Pineapple, Canned in Juice, Not Drained
  • Pineapple, Canned in Water
  • Pineapple, Canned in Heavy Syrup

USDA and CNF also have canned pineapple entries specifically stating solids and liquids.

I had thought that drained was assumed for the non-juice packed entries; however, I just compared the NCCDB and USDA entries and it looks like the NCCDB entry for Pineapple, Canned in Light Syrup is also solids and liquids. I usually buy pineapple canned in juice, but there was a very good price on light syrup pack, now I'm trying to figure out how to log it after draining the syrup.

Comments

• Options

I know we are all about being as accurate as possible, though with a lack of an entry with Pineapple, Canned in Light Syrup, Drained, I would go with the Pineapple, Canned in Light Syrup as a good estimate even if you drained the liquid off.

The difference between drained and not drained (I compared the Pineapple in Juice drained vs not drained) is very small. Consuming the juice would add more to your total serving, but the proportions when comparing weight:weight are really similar!

You could make a few adjustments to the nutrient profile and save it as a copy as a custom food if you are motivated!

Karen Stark
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer