My Low Calorie Snack : Celery ! What do you use ?

Hello,

Couple of sticks of celery = 11.2 calories and they do have a bit of mass and volume so I have been using them as a snack when the hungries bother me.

What do other people use ?

Was a bit surprised at celery being low in fibre.

Comments

• I like dill pickles as a salty, crunchy snack. Mmm!

Karen Stark
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• I freeze fresh blueberries and have them for dessert. A half cup is 40 calories and is packed with goodness. I guess ‘low calorie’ is in the mouth of the beholder, but I have that instead of ice cream, so definitely ‘lower’ calorie in that case.

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

• @BillSteamshovel

Although veggies are a source of fibre, it's diluted because of their high water content.

If I'm feeling "snacky", I munch on grape tomatoes. I'm also a big fan of air-popped popcorn with nutritional yeast. And like @Karen_Cronometer , I'll sometimes munch on a pickle or a few olives if I'm craving salt. :)

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• Thanks for the replies and tips. I never thought of using pickles or olives or popcorn or frozen berries so have learned something. The popcorn is a surprise, will have a go.............. and yes the water content of veg explains the low fiber content that I found so puzzling.

One definition of fibre that I read was "the stuff that your body cannot digest"

Bill

• I freeze grapes....100 calories per cup....the darker the sweeter! I also prepare a snack plate of carrot sticks, celery, grape tomatoes, and radishes.....sprinkle with table tasty. Or I have a bowl full of melon. Usually my "snacks" become a meal.

• edited September 2020

A half cup is 40 calories and is packed with goodness. I guess ‘low calorie’ is in the mouth of the beholder, but I have that instead of ice cream, so definitely ‘lower’ calorie in that case.