Options

Target weight loss

I have set a target to lose 2lbs a week but when I show this in diary it only allocated me 486 calories per day which is clearly unrealistic.
If I turn off show weight target in diary then the daily calories jumps to 1484 which seems too high.

I’m clearly not understanding how to set this up for keto.
I’ve tried using Keto Calculator, macro ratios and fixed values but can’t seem to set this up properly. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options

@Toonie

The first step is to ensure that you're weight and height are entered correctly. I'd also consider how you plan to track activity (i.e. by pulling data in from a device or setting your activity level in Cronometer).

The formula that is used for weight loss is:
    Maintenance calories minus:

• 500 calories per day for 1 lb/week weight loss
    • 1000 calories per day for 2 lb/week weight loss

Your maintenance calories of 1484 seem quite low (i.e. they don't include any activity). I would consider seeing what your calorie needs would be if you selected "maintain" weight and included your daily activity (which includes structured and non-structured activity).

If your maintenance needs really are 1484, then I'd suggest setting your target to 1/2 lb per week (subtracts 250 calories per day).

Hope this helps!

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• Options

@Susan_RD_101 Height and weight are correctly entered.

1484 is maintenance calories based on BMR picked up from Apple Heath (which gets it from my Renpho scale)

I have my activity set to None based on instructions in the manual as I have an Oura ring which tracks activity and Apple Health on my iPhone

Losing 2 lbs a week to start with is my goal and I know that will slow down later and be adjusted.

I guess my confusion is how the app could suggest anyone only eat 486 calories (if I was having an relatively inactive day for example)

I would prefer the app to be calculating my needs rather than fixed values but can’t trust what I’m seeing.

That’s not a criticism of the app and more a reflection of I don’t understand how to set this up properly and even after reading forums and manual multiple times need guidance or suggestions.

• Options

@Toonie

I would see if the calorie target changes each day based on the activity that's imported from your device.

I hear what you're saying though... It can be alarming to think that you'd need to eat so little just to lose weight!

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer