How to max out essential nutrients early in the day?

Hi,

I'm new to healthy diet and nutrition and i appreciate all the advice and support on the Cronometer forum.

My question is that if it's better to achieve a certain percentage say 50%+ of All Targets as early as possible in the day? Or are there are certain vitamins and minerals that we should target to meet in the morning, and then another set in the afternoon, and then finally evening.

Would appreciate if anyone can advise how to go about planning meals/nutrients according to time of the day or according to required energy levels (say high energy in morning, medium in the afternoon, and low at night). Open to suggestions about recommended-books or articles that offer more info on this.

Thank you!

Comments

• Hello!

Great question! The Institute of Medicine doesn't mention timing of intake in their recommendations for vitamins and minerals. Professionally speaking, it really doesn't matter when you consume nutrients, as long as the minimum requirement is being met.

That being said, it's easier to ensure you meet 100% of targets if you start earlier in the day. Smoothies are an easy way to start your day off right, as you can add so many things to meet nutrient needs.

Kind regards,

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• Got it, thank you for the response @Susan_RD_101 Found an interesting recipe online for smoothies: https://www.2sharemyjoy.com/muscle-building-vegan-smoothie/ I'll play around with the ingredients to make something that works for me.

• This will depend on what works for you. My regular breakfast consists of overnight oats made with non-dairy fortified oat milk, chia seeds, and fruit. It provides a ton of nutrients, but some people might not like such a carb-heavy breakfast.