Omega and Fat intake

I am striving to get my omega 6 up, my omega 3 are at 800% and my daily fat intake is high because of the flax seed and walnuts! How can i keep my fat closer to 64g per day keep my saturated fat down and get my omega 6 up. I am a vegan

Comments

• sunflower oil (not high oleic)

• Thank you Maxb. Do you have any research sources i could view to understand if as a vegan, i am getting enough omega 3, 6, and 9 and all needed components ?

• Could you please tell me what is counted in the omega-3s? Is this combined ALA + EPA + DHA? Also, what is counted in the omega-6s? Is it just linoleic acid or does it include other omega-6 fatty acids like arachidonic acid? Also, shouldn't the amount of saturated fat, monounsaturated fat and polyunsaturated fat equal the total fat? On my recent report, the total amount of fat was greater than the three types of fat, which does not make sense.

• @kacorne

Is this combined ALA + EPA + DHA?

Yes. Some people think that fish sources are better than plant, but there are studies (randomized controlled trials) that show that flax seed consumption has strong physiological effects (curing high blood pressure, e.g.) so that's what I take.

Also, what is counted in the omega-6s?

All of them

Also, shouldn't the amount of saturated fat, monounsaturated fat and polyunsaturated fat equal the total fat?

Cronometer uses whatever you, or someone else, or whatever database put in it. If the numbers don't add up there, they won't add up in your totals.

• @HarvRoc20

You may wish to review the following blog on the Cronometer ratio of omega 3:6 - https://cronometer.com/blog/understanding-cronometers-nutrient-ratios/.

As a vegan, I'm far more concerned about your omega 3 intake than your omega 6. A priority is to ensure your intake meets the "AI" (or adequate intake) for both these nutrients; the ratio is somewhat less important.

I'm also unconcerned with your overall fat intake; it's important to include at least 1/4 cup of nuts/seeds per day on a plant-based diet (I'm partial to pumpkin seeds since they are so nutrient-dense). A vegan diet is naturally low in saturated fat (provided you omit coconut oil); most healthy fats will still have some saturated fat, which isn't an issue since the amount is low compared to other types of fats.

@kacorne - @maxb did a great job answering these questions. We know that relying on EPA and DHA from plant-based sources of omega 3 (like flax, chia, hemp, walnuts, etc.) doesn't work; the conversion is just too low. Vegetarians and vegans benefit from including EPA/DHA from algae at a dose of ~500 mg per day. That said, there are important health benefits of including flax, chia, hemp, walnuts, etc.

Kind regards,

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer