Carbs in espresso?

Coffee, brewed, espresso shows up in the food list as having 4g of carbs in a cup. Coffee, prepared from grounds shows up with 0 carbs.

Looking around the web, I can't find another site that credits espresso with having carbs.

Why the difference in Cronometer?

Comments

• edited January 2021

Coffee is exempt from having a nutrition label on the package because the nutrients contained in (brewed) coffee are low enough that the values would be rounded to zero.

With NCCDB, USDA, etc. you're getting lab-analyzed data with the non-rounded values instead.

Karen Stark
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• It seems like a huge (more than rounding) difference with the carbs shown for letting the water drip through the beans vs forcing water through the beans. 0 carbs per cup vs 4 carbs per cub.

• It's true through. There are measurable carbs in espresso that aren't in drip coffee due to the brewing process. You can google it. And there is cholesterol in french press coffee not present in drip. So how you brew makes a difference.

• Well, those are carbs I'm not willing to give up! I've got a Gaggia Titanium and have essentially multiple Americanos every day.

• I got an Illy for espresso and a french press for coffee. So I'm with you too -- these are essential carbs for me too

• I've noticed this as well and was surprised. I wonder how espresso beans brewed drip style fare with the carb count. Not that I'd give up my cup of coffee either ☺️

• The brewing method will effect the output much more than the beans. "Espresso Beans" are just typically blends roasted to a profile that is targeted for pressure brewing. I've had some espresso-targeted roasts that also make great pour over.

The main thing is that the Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) is much higher in espresso vs a drip style coffee, and that's basically what gets into the cup from the bean. The other big thing is that it doesn't use a filter, much like in a french press. You get more of the oils in your cup compared to a filtered coffee.

• edited August 2021

Just remember that nobody usually drinks a cup (as in 240 mL) of espresso. You would usually drink only 30 mL of espresso, and that is considered a "cup" of espresso, but obviously the Cronometer cup measure is going to be the regular 240 mL cup amount, which would be 8 typical espresso's. So if its 4 g carbs per cup, you would actually only ingest 0.5 g in a typical serving which is 30 mL, i.e. 1/8 of a standard 240 mL cup.

• That's a really great point!