Options

Do the vitamin and nutrient stats take absorption levels into account?

When combining foods in one meal that may increase absorption (vitamin c with iron OR vitamin D with calcium) or decrease absorption (phytates or oxates in certain foods that block calcium absorption), does Cronometer account for that? So if I have brown rice (soaked for several hours to reduce phytates) with calcium fortified almond milk, how much calcium am I getting knowing that the rice is blocking some absorption? If I missed another post where this was answered, feel free to direct me. THANK YOU! I <3 Cronometer!

Answers

• Options

Hi LavendarLaurie,

The nutrient values reported for foods are the amounts measured in that food, and does not usually take into account absorption. Instead, this is built into the Dietary Reference Intakes. Typically the nutrient targets are set based on how much healthy individuals consume on a mixed diet (i.e an omnivorous diet). The the nutrient recommendations aren't how much you body absorbs, but rather the amount you need to eat for your body to get what it needs.

Unfortunately, we don't have the level of detail in nutrition data to account for interactions between foods. The nutrients in foods are an average (though the actual amount will vary between samples) based on the typical method of preparation they determined at the time of analysis.

Karen Stark
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer