How Should I Set Up my Account to Gain Muscle Mass?

Hi, I am new here. Can you please help me figure out how to set up my Cronometer account? My goal is to gain 5 pounds of muscle mass in 1 year.
The app just asked me what is my weight goal, and it didn't ask if I want to gain fat weight or muscle weight.

Comments

• edited November 2020

I would suggest checking out a couple of YouTube channels for more in-depth answers than anyone is likely to post here.

• RenaissancePeriodization : They have a whole playlist dedicated to nutrition for hypertrophy, and plenty of expertise on just about every other related topic.
    • Jeff Nippard : He has lots of good informative videos as well. I would play more attention to his more recent uploads. I've found some of his older content to be a little self-contradictory. Still most of it is top notch.
    • Frimia : A professional natural bodybuilder with a some great tips. Ryan doesn't have a ton of content on YouTube, but he does host a Twitch channel where he'll answer your fitness Q & A weekly.
  • Cronometer certainly can help with the nutrition side of muscle mass gain. You'll primarily want to set targets to get enough protein to support your goal. If you're having difficulty with setting up Cronometer's targets, a more specific question would provide better answers.

• @Hippocrates

If muscle mass if your goal, I'd suggest aiming for small incremental gains in weight by setting a calorie target slightly above your maintenance level of calories (say by 200-300 calories per day). Given that you are trying to gain muscle mass, I'd focus on having a lot of these calories come from protein.

At the same time, it's important to work with the right trainer who can design a program that facilitates gain. You may also want to look into a quality scan (i.e. DEXA) to measure changes in body composition and/or work with a kinesiologist trained in using skin calipers.

Happy to provide further clarification!

Kind regards,

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• Don't spend too much $ on fancy stuff

Measure your waist with a tape; if you are gaining weight and your waist isn't getting bigger; it's muscle.

1 pound a month is realistic.

Trigger mTOR 3-4 times per day at 4-5 hour intervals by eating 30-50 grams protein.

Watch all the YouTube videos with Dr Donald K Layman 👌

• Look at the X-REP.com website

They have an excellent no-fee daily newsletter and about 10 little e-books with great workout programs that only cost about $10 each

Youtube is full excellent exercise technique videos, mostly free

Erin Stern has a whole series on Youtube; not just for women. 🙄