Sugar alcohols in net carbs in diary and recipe nutrition info

In my profile, I have UNchecked "Include sugar alcohols in net carbs." Yet, when I add an item with erythritol in it to my diary or add erythritol to a recipe, I get it counted as part of my net carbs. Is this a glitch?

Best Answers

• Hello @Bookwyrmb

If you see an issue with a food, please let us know and we will fix it :)

We find that brand name products often do not record the amount of sugar alcohols - with your help we can find these foods and update them in our database to add the missing information.

Best,

Karen Stark
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• This does seem to be a bug - we will try to get a fix out.

If you refresh the page after you add the recipe to your diary, do the net carbs update to the correct value (i.e. with sugar alcohols subtracted)?

Karen Stark
    cronometer.com

• Indeed, the bug seems to be in how the software tallies up net carbs in a recipe. It seems to treat the entire receipe as a single food and doing the calculation for net carbs as a single food, rather than just adding up carbs and sugar alcohol. My workaround so far has been to create modified versions of Swerve and Sukrin with zero carbs and zero sugar alcohols for my recipes, but I hope this bug gets fixed soon as it's time-consuming to do the workaround.

• Hello Bookwrymb,

If you find a food that does not have the correct nutrition information listed, please report the issue so our curation team can fix it. We appreciate users helping us keep our database up to date.

Using the web version of Cronometer, you can report an issue by selecting the food in your diary. Then right-click and choose View/Edit Selected Food from the menu. This will open the food in the food editor. Select the gear icon at the top right of the screen, then select Report Issue. If you can attach photos, it really helps our team!

Thanks,

Karen Stark
    cronometer.com

Answers

• I just added Swerve to a recipe. When I searched it, the info reported zero net carbs. When I added a cup of it to my recipe the carbs exploded in amount and it shows up in my diary as a high carb addition. The Swerve (erythritol) is the only sweetener or carb-like food I added except for the small amount in the cocoa powder. Before I added the Swerve, I had 4 grams carbs. Afterward, 10 g. I tried different brands of erythritol with the same results.

• Wow! Yes! I just checked and the net carbs for one brownie made with Swerve just went from 12 to 0.68! Thank you!!!

• I added a half cup of Breyer's No Sugar Added, Vanilla ice cream to my dairy, but the net carbs are showing up higher on my diary than they do if subtracting the sugar alcohols from the total carbs as listed on their nutrition label.

• Karen,
    Thanks for your reply. I did add the receipe to my diary and the result was zero carbs because all the sugar alcohols in the individual ingredients canceled out the carbs in other ingredients. For example, pecans have carbs and the recipe called for two cups yet the macros for the total recipe showed zero carbs. I double checked each individual recipe in my diary to make sure those were reading correctly (e.g., pecans)

• Hello @PandaFoodie

This sounds like one of the other ingredients you have used may have some missing nutrition information. For example, if a food lists fibre but does not have a value entered for carbohydrate, using the food in a recipe will subtract the fibre value from the total carb value (this occurs in recipes only). This is a bug and are working on fixing the issue.

In the meantime, if you identify a food that has missing nutrition information and report an issue so that we can update it.

Cheers,

Karen Stark
    cronometer.com

• Hi there, I'm having the same issue as Bookwyrmb for Erythritol. I just added Truvia to my custom foods (the one already in the database is for a packet but I just have a tub of powder). When I logged it in my diary it added the carbs from Erythritol even though I am tracking net carbs. I followed the instructions you provided to report error, but it is not a choice in my gear menu. Is that because I am not a gold member?
    Are you able to help with this anyways?

Thanks so much!

• OOPS! Please disregard my previous message. I had not UNchecked "Include sugar alcohols..." My mistake! I unchecked and now it is working.

• So, just to clarify, we select "net carbs without sugar alcohols" in settings even though we are using Swerve in our foods, so that it will calculate the net carbs for us? I'm a little confused. My settings are set at Fixed Values, and I'm doing keto. Thanks.