Options

Weight Gain/Recovery from ED/low BMI

Anyone else using Cronometer for weight gain? I've suffered from no appetite for years, but now a new medication has been prescribed that made me desire food again. I use Cronometer to ensure I consume what I need to each day in order to normalize my weight. It's been enormously helpful.

Comments

• Options

Hi, yes I am. I'm underweight, and trying to gain several kg. I've gained just over a kg in about 3 weeks, eating around 2500 kcal - I need to track to make sure I eat enough as I have a really low appetite.

• Options

So nice to meet you, Daffodils!! I certainly offer my support and congratulations. I have been at this for about 4 wks and am surprising myself at how well I'm actually doing. My issue is low appetite too; was never quite "at home" in the Eating Disorder community as I have no body-image issues -just a terribly low appetite. A medication called cyproheptadine has been my recent "miracle" that allowed me to try this recovery thing once again.

• Options

I actually work in eating disorders and use Cronometer for analyzing and planning diets. Some individuals may find the numbers triggering so they may need to be hidden while tracking.

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• Options

I'm not from an ED background, so I don't really care about the numbers. I've always been fairly low weight and lose weight when stressed, and last year was stressful! I started using Cronometer to give me an idea of how much I needed to gain weight, but I found it wildly inaccurate for me - if I eat what it recommended me to gain 0.5kg a week, I lose weight (I'm only walking to work and doing yoga at the moment, I used to run and cycle but have stopped that while I try to gain weight). I'm eating more than 1000 kcal over my theoretical maintenance and gaining a few hundred grams a week at best. I find it useful to track, otherwise I would end up not eating enough as my appetite is just not there.

• Options

Just a note when a person with an ED (or someone who's been eating very little for a period of time) starts to refeed, their energy needs can skyrocket. This phenomenon happens when the metabolism picks back up and normal physiological processes that were put on hold restart.

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• Options

This happened to me too when I had to hai. Weight. It will normalize eventually but it takes along time so just keep going! My appetite never really came back but I got used to the eating rhythm and amount so now I know even without tracking that I had enough

• Options

Gain weight *