2000 kcal vs calories burned

Hiya, suddenly today the total energy 'allowed' is listed as 2000 kcal, even though I have burned more than that. Its been working for the last month since I started using this excellent app by recording my calories burned vs my intake which is perfect. But suddenly every day for the past month has been altered to 2000kcal no matter how many calories I've burned. I can't see how to reset this. I hope I've included the right screenshots, first time I've done this! Thanks for your help!

Answers

• Hi Maria,

Your energy target bar in the macronutrient summary banner (in your first screenshot) can be set separately from your energy balance (calories remaining in your second screenshot).

Do you have the latest release for the mobile app? We've just made some changes to how you set up your targets.

On the lastest release, you can reset this by going to: Settings > Targets > Energy Settings.
    Under Weight Goal/Custom Energy Target, select Weight Goal. (it's not required to enter in a weight goal
    Then your energy burned and energy target will match.

These settings are available on our website if you've not got the mobile update. Otherwise, let me know what macronutrient target settings you've got and I'll help you from there :)

Karen Stark
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• Hi Karen, thanks for this! After uploading the latest release, that seemed to solve the problem... Until it didn't.

1. Now it sometimes sets my energy target to my custom bmr but not all the time. It doesn't matter whether weight goal is ticked or not except it seems to reset it temporarily.

2. Also although my weight goal is to remain the same (55 kg), it sets my weight goal at 68 kg for an unknown reason. When I correct it or put 0, it always goes back to 68 kg next time I check it.

Thank you in advance for your help with this one! Best wishes, Maria.

• edited June 2021

Oooh, I did not realize you had set a custom BMR. Would you mind sending us some screenshots of your settings to support@cronometer.com and we can help you get your energy settings set up just the way you like it!

In general, you can either have a custom energy target that will not include exercise added to your diary OR you can have a weight goal settings (this includes maintaining weight) that can include exercises in your energy target settings.

Entering a custom BMR in your energy settings (with a weight goal setting) allows you to customize your starting energy burned value, and add exercise to your target as well.

The weight goal you enter does not affect your energy settings. Only the Rate selected below will make changes to your energy target. Choosing a rate of weight loss subtracts calories, maintaining weight does not make any changes to your target and a rate of weight gain adds calories to your target.

Karen Stark
    cronometer.com

• Oh thanks for that Karen. I don't need a weight goal setting but it seemed I needed to enter that to get the energy settings right. Here's a screen shot of my energy settings. The algorithm sets my goal weight of 68kg all by itself (I weight 55kg).

• Hi Maria,

Your settings look good! Based on your custom BMR and energy level, your energy target will start the day at 1993 kcal and as you add exercise and foods to your diary it will increase from there based on what how many more calories you've burned. This includes June 2 from your original screenshot if you go back and check it out.
    Let me know if there are any dates where your energy target doesn't look right.

I'm looking into the weight goal resetting to 68kg, I'll check in with you with what I find.

Karen Stark
    cronometer.com

• Hi Karen, thanks for your reply. I'm glad my settings look good. Unfortunately the energy target flips from what I've set it to do and a fixed amount of 1330kcal. Attached is a screenshot of that. It changes many times throughout the day from one to the other without me making any changes in Settings.

Thanks also for checking into the 68kg.

Best wishes, Maria.

• It is just on the mobile app where you are seeing these differences?

Can you send me a private message or email (support@cronometer.com) to confirm the email address shown at the top of the settings tab on the mobile app?

Karen Stark
    cronometer.com

• I hope you received my private message confirming my email address Karen. Something strange is going on that I'm sure you'll be able to sort out for me!

The energy target still sets itself to my custom bmr of 1330 randomly, it seems. But the other targets also change slightly for unknown reasons. See the two screenshots. The only difference is that with one of them, I had just added a decaff instant black coffee which adds just 1.9 carbs. But when I removed it, the energy consumption changed by a different amount, and the energy target changed back to what it should be. Help!

Thank you, Maria.

• Hi Maria,

Thanks for the update! We are working on some bugs where the energy value isn't always including exercise and TEF on mobile. Sorry for the wait, they are coming soon.

Best,

Karen Stark
    cronometer.com

• Oh that's great, thank you!